D&D pipes?

GuyM

Street Tracker
D&D pipes? Anyone here using them or know anything about them?

Looks like they can provide a modest power increase, and am interested in that as well as in the sound... Am looking for something that produces a mellow, deeper tone if possible. I like the looks of the D&D pipes - and the promise of across-the board torque & HP increase - but am concerned about the sound...

The TOR's sound good - but maybe a bit too high pitched and "ratty" for lack of a better word? They're the only aftermarket pipes I've heard on a Triumph Twin.

A buddy gutted the stock pipes on his America, and it sounds good, but LOUD.

Thanks, Guy

Mats

Two Stroke
I agree on the ratty sound of the TOR's. Considering the (almost) same Bore x Stroke ratio and timing, as a Ducati 900 and the Yamaha TRX, a 270degree Scram should be able to produce a great throaty sound. Only thing real different between these bikes is HP and revs. But a Duc and a TRX make sweet music at lower revs too! So what's the difference? The size of the cans? I want my Scrambler to make the same sweet sound as a TRX, at least!

Last edited:

NEPatriots9

Scooter
I liked the TORs when I was running them, but put Thunderbike pipes on for the power increase and great sound. If you don't like loud I don't think you'll like the D+Ds.

Spiny Norman

Scooter
I agree on the ratty sound of the TOR's. Considering the (almost) same Bore x Stroke ratio and timing, as a Ducati 900 and the Yamaha TRX, a 270degree Scram should be able to produce a great throaty sound. Only thing real different between these bikes is HP and revs. But a Duc and a TRX make sweet music at lower revs too! So what's the difference? The size of the cans? I want my Scrambler to make the same sweet sound as a TRX, at least!

I had hopes of that too Mats, but there is obviously more to it that a 270degree crank and 850 odd cc's.

I miss my TRX...

sadly, the Yanks probably don't know what we are talking about.

Mats

Two Stroke
Yeah maybe the TRX never made it to the US!?
I heard one with some nice open silencers and before I saw it was a TRX, I was pretty sure it'd be a Duc rolling up.
I guess the Scrambler would be able to make the same sound but then you'd probably have to use big modern silencers. And that would look a bit strange maybe.

Last edited:

scolepdx

Scooter
I have the D&D slipon exhaust and I love it. I also did the airbox removal kit at the same time and afterwards on the dyno I had a 14 hp gain! The sound is awesome too. You can see a picture of my bike if you search for my username, it's called Hello From Portland.

Mista Vern

Scooter
I have the D&D slipon exhaust and I love it. I also did the airbox removal kit at the same time and afterwards on the dyno I had a 14 hp gain! The sound is awesome too. You can see a picture of my bike if you search for my username, it's called Hello From Portland.

Did you do all the work yourself? I might be interested in going that route someday and am located not to far from you in McMinnville.

GuyM

Street Tracker
Okay - just ordered the Hydes, not the D&D slip-ons... Might be a while before they get here I understand, but it's 12 degrees out and there's a foot of snow on the ground. I'm apparently not in any hurry to get the bike back on the road...

Local tuner here has a dyno and seems to really like the Triumph Twins. He's done a couple of Bonnies but this might be his first 270 degree Triumph Twin. Pretty confident that he can coax a good increase in power from it once the new pipes are in place.

Thanks for all the input on pipes! I think the 904 kit is about a year out...

Regards, Guy

scolepdx

Scooter
I didn't do it myself, I had a great guy with a shop do the work. It was around $300 'ish for the labor but he also put on the air box removal kit at the same time. Let me know and I can give you his number.

casper

Two Stroke
D&D pipes? Anyone here using them or know anything about them?

Looks like they can provide a modest power increase, and am interested in that as well as in the sound... Am looking for something that produces a mellow, deeper tone if possible. I like the looks of the D&D pipes - and the promise of across-the board torque & HP increase - but am concerned about the sound...

The TOR's sound good - but maybe a bit too high pitched and "ratty" for lack of a better word? They're the only aftermarket pipes I've heard on a Triumph Twin.

A buddy gutted the stock pipes on his America, and it sounds good, but LOUD.

Thanks, Guy

Guy

sorry, my Scrambler has the TORs on it and they seem to sound OK.

Not familiar with any others but you can see on 'You Tube' all sorts of different types of exhaust people use and hear them as well.

It gives you an indicator of the noise and look of different systems.

Arrow do some nice after market exhaust systems for the Scrambler and they have the benefit of approval by Triumph as well.

Casper/ Dave

casper

Two Stroke
Okay - just ordered the Hydes, not the D&D slip-ons... Might be a while before they get here I understand, but it's 12 degrees out and there's a foot of snow on the ground. I'm apparently not in any hurry to get the bike back on the road...

Local tuner here has a dyno and seems to really like the Triumph Twins. He's done a couple of Bonnies but this might be his first 270 degree Triumph Twin. Pretty confident that he can coax a good increase in power from it once the new pipes are in place.

Thanks for all the input on pipes! I think the 904 kit is about a year out...

Regards, Guy

Hydes are good, I had them on my standard Bonneville and they were great; well made and had a lovely sound too.

Casper/Dave

GuyM

Street Tracker
I'll update this once I get the pipes, install 'em and get the carbs set up better.

This is kind of fun... Haven't really souped up anything in a long time... Could get addictive, but for now I'll hold it to the pipes and a tune!

So these are the only performance mods you've done? That's a wicked gain for just exhaust and intake. I've been wanting a Scrambler for awhile now but've thought that an extra 10 hp would make it a lot more attractive. This is good to know.