cut out problem

cafecruzin

Two Stroke
06 Thruxton. this has been happening for a few weeks now.i can be siting at lights. bike idle is normal and then it'll cut out no warning ,no spitting or farting and will restart immediately . happens usually when bike is warm and not all the time.suggestions ?:confused:
fuel is fine
no airbox

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
You should tell us what kind of bike it is. :)

Bad gas?

Chipmunks in the airbox?

Hedge

American Infidel
I've had that happen to me before and I just re-ignite it and it starts right up, I goose the throttle and the problem doesn't return.

RonD

Scooter
Yeah if it was mine and haveing said this without looking at the bike it could be electrical, but sounds like carby problems if you have crap in the float bowl it can float around and give you intermitent problems, clean out the float bowls and jets, balance your carbies and tune your pilot mixture set your idle speed check for air leaks ect would probably be a good starting point, provided is not something as basic as the things ideling to slow.

Last edited:

Hedge

American Infidel
Yeah if it was mine and haveing said this without looking at the bike it could be electrical, but sounds like carby problems if you have crap in the float bowl it can float around and give you intermitent problems, clean out the float bowls and jets, balance your carbies and tune your pilot mixture set your idle speed check for air leaks ect would probably be a good starting point, provided is not something as basic as the things ideling to slow.
I'm gonna bet your right Ron because I tend to let my bike sit with the ethnol in the bowls for a week at a time. It only cuts out in the first 30 min of my riding and then its fine.

Hedge

American Infidel
I do the same thing at the end of the season so the shit doesn't sit in there all winter long. I think I'll start doing it more often since I'm not riding everyday.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I have to do that (run fuel out of the bowls) on my dual sport or it's a bitch to get it started if it sits for a while. It's a VERY common problem with this model I suppose. Never met someone who didnt have the same issue of hard starts with their KLX250 if it sat for more than a couple days.

As for the Bonnie, my silver one does it hiccup/die every now and then - usually early in the ride. None of the other Triumphs in the garage do it.

Hedge

American Infidel
A hiccup best describes my experience as well. Now if cafeCruzin is experiencing more than a hiccup and a quick push on the restart button then this is a different problem than what we are talking about.

Dawgone

Two Stroke
Cafe -

Mine used to do it also. It's likely carb related, though with my spate of recent intake mods, it doesn't seem to do it anymore. You might try a little richer on the idle mixture screws ? and Synching the carbs wouldn't hurt either.

normandy

Street Tracker
My speedy is such a pig for the firt 10 min. or so and by the time fresh tank fuel has reached the carbs it's also starting to warm up and run better so I guess my 2 week old fuel could be adding to the cold running behavior ?

Dawgone

Two Stroke
My speedy is such a pig for the firt 10 min. or so and by the time fresh tank fuel has reached the carbs it's also starting to warm up and run better so I guess my 2 week old fuel could be adding to the cold running behavior ?

Not likely, when you pump fresh it mixes, and 2 week old fuel is fine, 2 month old fuel is a different story.

I've had mine sit for as long as a month during the winter (I Ride the other bike when it's really cold or wet, so so no "Pussy" comments) and haven't had any fuel issues.