Custom Side Covers

Skeeter

Rocker
So I installed the BC ARK and wanted to do something neat with the side covers so you can see the K&Ns.
So I bought a used set of thrux side covers off ebay for 85 shipped. And started drawing up ideas. I bought a hole saw and a 8 dollar metal mesh bin that I used as the screen behind the cut outs.

this was the idea
2012-01-11163816.jpg

2012-01-13113704.jpg

2012-01-16161426.jpg

2012-01-17172942.jpg

Its not finished yet, need to glue or get the screen to the back of the covers. As you can see i left a huge thumb print on the paint
Like i said i wanted to see the K&Ns but you really cant see them thru the mesh but i still like it
2012-01-17173108.jpg

Skeeter

Rocker
thanks guys

i just need to figure out a way to glue or attach the metal mesh to the back of the side cover. its kinda curved so it doesnt lay flat well. my unlce said he has something that will work and when i worked in a body shop we had some awesome thick glue that would work but i have no access to it anymore.

jphickory

Banned
Gorilla Glue is great stuff and expands as it cures. If you can secure the wire cloth in position while the glue cures - I believe it would work well.

jphickory

Banned
I meant to say the metal screen/mesh that you are wanting to attach to your side-covers. I think Gorilla glue will work well for that purpose.

Easy13

Street Tracker
Looks righteous, Skeet. Try JB Weld on the mesh. It sure won't go anywhere with that stuff. maybe dabs of it at the corners, so there'd still be some flexibility....

Skeeter

Rocker
thanks easy13, you think JB weld will hold the metal mesh to the plastic side cover, ive already rough'ed the inside of the cover to get good adhesion

Skeeter

Rocker
i used a 1 1/4 hole saw i think it was and then just cut out the middle parts of them to make then long.

i found a loc-tight plastic glue that i used and its holdin hardcore well

nohawk

Rocker
Good job man. Those turned out cool, Ive used a hot glue gun to hold the mesh on mine with good results.