Custom seat work....

glazer

moped
Okay, so as to not pollute the BA/Speedy pics thread.... wanted to answer and ask some questions about seat work everybody has had done.

I wanted to recover my stock seat with some bison hide and a stingray pelt that I picked up on Ebay and went searching for somebody to do the work. Had the opportunity to go to a couple of bike shows and meet with some vendors. In the Chicago area there is a guy by the name of Alligator Bob that is supposedly "the dude" if you want custom work. Had some stuff on display and it looked pretty good so talked with him. First off, if you wanna talk to me like your my momma then you better be prepared for the response, gave me a bunch of lip about acquiring my hides on my own as opposed to getting them through him as this would guarantee anything I got was crap. Reluctantly he agreed to do the job but it would cost me dearly....believe he quoted me around 800 bucks. So anyway, his stuff did look nice but after that routine if he would have offered to do it for a pack of smokes and nudie magazine I would have told him to kiss my ass..... oh wait, I did tell him that, that's why I got out of the show so quickly after arriving.

Talked to a few more people....Rick Mayer supposedly another seat god/guru. Had no clue what stingray was, even after I drew the animal in all it's glory swimming along coral heads and crystal clear waters, (this is before Mr. Irwin met his demise *rest his animal molesting soul*.) Okay, move on to next vendor....more of the same. What seemed to me riduculously high prices, how I should have let the seat person select the hides, "oh my GOD!, you did your own foam work!?!?!?!".

Finally came across a dude by the name of Tom out of Milwaukee...his business is Back in the Saddle. Was a pleasure to deal with him, seemed really interested in doing the job, liked my ideas for how to cut everything, was a little leary that I had done my own work on the foam but when he saw it he was relieved, "good job, you wouldn't believe what most people bring me." He also quoted me a price that was about one sixth of what everybody else did but I decided to give him a shot. I think he did an awesome job and am and have been extremely pleased with the work. Here's what it looks like...
P1010004_0002.jpg
[/IMG]

I am looking to have a second seat done now but this time more like the low profile seats that NewSpeedmaster sells....basically just a thin layer of foam or gel and then hand tooled leather stitched to the seat pan. Not really Tom's gig so looking for any recommendations any of you might have.

While you're at it, show them seats off. Would love to see some pics of what everybody else has done.

Steve

gilligan

Scooter
Nice! Don't change a thing. My seat is still stock as I'm having a hard time shelling out $400 for the one's Brent has. Not that they're not nice, just with gas at $4.50 a gallon, my budget for toys is getting squeezed a little.

The_Dog33

Scooter
Posted this at BA.com

I have been planning to do a gel insert on Wendys bike but haven't yet. You can get the gel fairly cheap on Ebay and then finish it by covering the gel with memory foam. I posted instructions how to do that quite some time ago with pictures. Click the link for instructions and pix.

http://www.knoplace.com/Gel_Pad_Installation.html

airguy

Scooter
Steve,

Yeah, I very much would like to take you up on the use of the seat you are getting. I think I will try to talk to the guy that did your seat as I have seen it and it looks awesome. I thought I remembered you saying you had a rather eloquent conversation with a local seat guy, just couldn't remember if it was Alligator Bob or not. Lemme know when you get it and I will head in to the city for perhaps a beer and burger or something.

I am thinking either a nice brown leather with flames tooled in to the leather or a black leather with a deep burgundy set of flames sewed in to it. Stuff I guess I need to talk to the guy doing my seat. Just some general ideas for now. That is how I started with the paint and look where it got me. LOL.

Skinthead

Two Stroke
Stingray looks good, and is durable as all hell. I have used it for knife sheaths with good results.....usually as a portion, but not the whole. if your upholstery guy has not heard or used it beware.

The stuff wears like iron! very nice stuff to have nearby. You can't hardly wear a hole in it.

Like the seat. I am hunting a sewing machine for seat work. Will keep the forums here informed.

Skint

rodburner

Rocker
Glazer,have you tried checking out the JockeyJournal forum? They have a bunch of DIY and custom one off seat threads you can search through.Also some of the most talented young seatmakers/upholsterers I`ve ever seen.I`ve made dozens of seats for my Bonnie and like to mess with foams and covers.You could make your own this winter and learn some stuff along the way.The seat I`m using now is a fiberglass pan,laid up right on the bike.No tool,friction fit.Its only 3/4" of foam above the frame rails,but 2 more inches of foam underneath,on top of the battery box.I`m still playing with different foam combo`s,but its good for about 100 miles right now.
Dadsbikepics1662.jpg

ssjones

750cc
If you chose to use a real gel pad, like Saddleman sells, they are so tacky it makes handling tricky. Someone passed on the tip of using baby powder on the pad to keep it from sticking to everything during installation. Definitely put something between your seat cover and the gel pad. I didn't and it gets pretty warm out in the sun. I've been meaning to pull that cover and add a layer of white foam, maybe this winter...

The_Dog33

Scooter
Use memory foam over the gel and finish shape with a surface prep pad on a die grinder. You can make a gel insert seamless that way.

Rodburner...what type of Bonnie is that? It's truly a one-of-a-kind, awesome lookin bike. Have a Ninja now and looking to sell it for a Triumph but can't decide if I like the standard Bonnies or the Speedmaster better.