Cross Country Ride?

Massive

Banned
Bike season will be starting back up for me atleast in a two or three months. Would anyone be interested in doing a cross country run east coast to west and back. I want to make time doing it so it will not be a see the sites kind of ride....I was thinking 1000 miles a day atleast....

KingBear

Hooligan
I might have been interested but my goal is to take some time and avoid the slab, not just ring up the miles.

Philly to San Fran?

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
1000 miles a day? That's like 1600+ kms...Quick math says that here (I know it's different down there but...) 100km/h with get you 100 km in 1 hour. 1600 km (or 1000 miles) will take 16+ hours...

My god man, what's the rush?

Bonafide

NBR founder
I want to make time doing it so it will not be a see the sites kind of ride....I was thinking 1000 miles a day atleast....

Figure you will average 50 miles per hour on our bikes; average speed limits, fuel stops, food, etc. You're talking about 20+ hrs of riding a day ... for multiple days? Good luck with that.

rodburner

Rocker
Figure you will average 50 miles per hour on our bikes; average speed limits, fuel stops, food, etc. You're talking about 20+ hrs of riding a day ... for multiple days? Good luck with that.

+1
8 IronButts in 8 days? Make sure all your procreation dreams are satisfied first, cuz it will all be over when you get home....:cya:

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
I live 45 miles south of San Francisco... I rode to Medford Oregon and back in one day. 600 miles each way on a Thruxton... Over 12 hours on a bike.

It was 6 hour ride there, because I stopped and had breakfast...

It was 5.5 hours back, 70mph average - Fuel stops when I had too...

and guess what? I WILL NEVER DO THAT SHIT EVER AGAIN AS LONG AS I LIVE. My back and wrists were inflamed for a week and i couldn't poop for three days!!!

I left at midnight and rode up the 5 all night - and stayed for a little bit and rode back... It was intentions to stay for a few days but there was drama with my company.

At most, I'm willing to ride 600 miles or 6 hours a day.

WyoBonnie

Scooter

At most, I'm willing to ride 600 miles or 6 hours a day.

And even that is pushing it. Why take a ride when you got to haul ass all the time. Last summer did about 10 days on the road, most miles we ever did in one day was 450. Quite enjoyable the trip was, stop when we some something cool, had lunch and shot the shit, rode to here and there, good times.

1000 miles a day - might as well take an airplane!

Bonafide

NBR founder
I live 45 miles south of San Francisco... I rode to Medford Oregon and back in one day. 600 miles each way on a Thruxton... Over 12 hours on a bike.

It was 6 hour ride there, because I stopped and had breakfast...

It was 5.5 hours back, 70mph average - Fuel stops when I had too...

That's averaging 100+mph and included stops. 600 mile round trip? Or 600 miles one way in 6 hrs!?!?

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
The most I have done, on the Bonneville no-less, was 1000kms and took about 16 hours due to traffic, gas+food stops, and just trying to stay awake. About 500 kms top a day is about my limit now.

Like Wyo said, I too take my time if I am on a trip. It's about the journey, not the destination, and if it isn't then fly or drive. I find, for whatever reason, you see alot more interesting things, and meet some colourful people when your on a bike, and that's what makes the trip for me. When I went to the east coast, I checked the mileage everyday...200kms 1 day, and 500-ish the next. The 200 km day, although not productive in the sense that we didn't get very far, but we some of the sites and roads in the NE US are too goood to fly through.

Good luck with your 1000miles a day.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I don't really want to rain on yer parade, but I'm going the way this thread is going. 500 to 600 would be really pushing it. And why on earth would you want to "superslab" a ride across this country when the 2 lane roads are so much more interesting.

The best trips I've even been on have been the ones with a good buddy and taking time to see what's out there. Every one has been an adventure in one way or the other

Dave

Street Tracker
The only reason I did 1000 miles in a day was just to say I did it. Coming home from Sturgis in '08, it took 17.5 hours to make the 1010 mile trip with stops for food and fuel only. Unfortunately, I didn't follow the rules for the IBR to get a certified ride, but I know I did it and that's good enough for me. I would like to ride to the west coast, then cruise the costal highway for a week or so before coming back. Old Route 66 would be cool to take out west...

WyoBonnie

Scooter
Brother did Route 66 a few years ago. He loved it on his Tiger. You ever do it (and want company), let me know, I'd be game to meet up in NM and cruise to LA then north.

Massive

Banned
I had planned on an average speed of 70 with timed stops like I have done before. comfortable seat and yes I know it is not a cake walk. I planned on 10 days there and back. If any one changes there mind let me know. I will be doing it most likely in april.

WyoBonnie

Scooter
What are you riding? I missed what you said your bike was. Any mods to it? Reason I ask that, loud pipes get old after 5 or 6 hours on the road. A re-jetted carb usually gets crappy mileage. Nice soft and sticky tires will wear out on you, half way thru the trip (assuming they were not new when you started). Your chain is goin to need attention everyday. Got an airbox? Even crappier mileage, probably - don't know for sure on that one - I still got an airbox.

You got a Bonnie, a Scram, a Speedie, an S3, etc - all those weigh in to just the ergonomics of that many miles a day. Most of those IB guys are riding HDs or GWs with more options on their dash than I got in my Lincoln.

I wouldn't have it any other way on than with my Bonnie, but you have got to realize, if you are talking about doing something like this with a Triumph Twin (new TB excepted) you got a bike that ain't made for this kind of (lack of) comfort.

Post up a pic of what you plan on doing this with.....

Last edited:

Massive

Banned
I am not taking my Speedmaster.....:eeek: I will be using my victory vision..it is very comfortable and is well suited for this. The distance and time dictates the need for the right bike.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I had planned on an average speed of 70 with timed stops like I have done before.

I am not taking my Speedmaster.....:eeek: I will be using my victory vision...

Well ... ya see, there's a problem with your plan. Riding an average 70 mph speed limit on the interstate does not equal 70 miles traveled per hour average - especially on a Bonneville that needs to stop for fuel every 2 hrs. Fuel stops will take 10-15 min to get off the interstate, find the pump, get off the bike, fuel the bike, get your gear back on, and back on the road to do a BORING 70mph on a superslab.

If you're wanting to arrange a non-Triumph cross county ride - why come here and making it your first topic (Triumph) Motorcycle related thread? Just sayin .. you're not riding your Triumph .. and .. no one here knows you.

Curious though, this cross country trip of yours ... would you be starting in Pennsylvania or Portland, Maine?

Massive

Banned
After your last post and the several other sarcastic tones you had....I will be going to another site. I already have you pegged. All key board and nothing to back it up, Good luck with your little little site....