creeping decrepitude

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Been wondering about this for some time. My health has been..... well ...... just passable for a while. I still ride for sure, but not as much. There's nothing really specific but I have a tendency to pull muscles and I can't figure out when or how I did it. Things like that.

Anyway just wondering if any of you guys are adjusting to the vagrancies of health and what you are doing about it. :d

Motley

750cc
Been wondering about this for some time. My health has been..... well ...... just passable for a while. I still ride for sure, but not as much. There's nothing really specific but I have a tendency to pull muscles and I can't figure out when or how I did it. Things like that.

Anyway just wondering if any of you guys are adjusting to the vagrancies of health and what you are doing about it. :d

We're just gettin' old is all. It seems like each day I get some new ache or pain. :hurt:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I know what you mean and feel myself heading that way too. One thing that helps is make sure you exercise (cardio based) but JUST AS important is to make sure you stretch everyday. Even if you can't get a workout in...stretch. Being limber really says a lot and will go a long way. I'm not saying to zen out on yoga unless you like it and want to but I believe being limber does a lot for you overall physical aptitude and how you fatigue.

drlapo

Hooligan
got me a couple of heart stents, lost some weight, walk 3 miles a day + excercise, eat healthy, single malt and one cigar a week
+RIDE

DandyDoug

750cc
I had to give up two wheels due to a lot of health issues , mostly from a real wreck of a back and arthritis. It just hurt so much to ride, I finally gave in and sold off all my bikes.

Have lost weight, try and exercise every day, went through a bunch of rehab. The best thing I have done so far is take a part time job , that keeps me moving all day, but by the end of the week I am a tired 70 year old man.
I work 5 days and then am off 5, so i get out and see people and enjoy the interaction.

I am currently looking for a sporty car but as of yet nothing has surfaced that I consider reasonably affordable that is road worthy.

drlapo

Hooligan
i also bought a sporty car; 2007 MX5 GT but if the weather is good i'm on a bike
the dog likes the car though

strokerlmt

Hey there Kirkus51…..join the club. I am 64 and pretty frustrated at how much is aching and paining. I stayed in great shape 20's through early 50's when old hockey injuries really flared up. My neck and shoulder ache constantly and now the arthritis in my hands and hips is out of control. Did you ever see the movie NORTH DALLAS FORTY with Nick Nolte. My mornings LESS the drugs are stretching pain aches popping grinding noises. It sucks :hurt:
The other day I was moving a 20 lb box and I heard a tendon in my elbow go pop. I have lost some weight. Eight to ten more and I will be good. Walk every morning. Trying to eat a lot better. Beer no liquor or wine, never smoked and really hoping that the next few years things go into a holding pattern.
Hang in….this aging cycle sucks big time.
LMT

Flaco

750cc
Yup,

After 45 years of riding my health and dead president funds have been drastically diminushed after six hospital stays…
Health is better now, just not much time for riding & wrenching as life get's in the way…
Work, wifes health, etc…
I'm not complaining. It's what happens when your "Sunset Appears."

Good news my son is riding his own Bad Ass BB.
Carry on the torch my son!
Cool Frickin Dude he is!

Best to all ol' farts…

We've got stories and our memories to share!

Pretty cool don't you think!

RonL

Scooter
Let's see, lost 17 lbs, work out three days per week or more, ride bicycles, chase my grandson around, and chase the missus around.

And after that, there's bourbon, tylenol, and motrin.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Hell, this doesn't bode well for me. I'm 27 and already have arthritis in my hands. Working at the brewery ain't a walk in the park either, each day I move over a ton of grain in 50lb bags across the warehouse and then mash in and grain out. . . doesn't get easier. The job keeps me active enough I reckon but I really should take that stretching advice. . beer is bad though. . .doesn't help that it's free.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
Here ya go, true story. I was touring around England about 5 years ago and went on the tower tour at Ely Cathedral up 300+ steps to the roof. I was talking to the chap who was leading the tour about his job leading the tours; he mentioned that he use to have debilitating arthritis in his knees and that his doctor recommended to use it or loose it. He started volunteering doing the tower tours 3 days a week 2 tours a day. He said it was all he could to to get thru the first 20 or so tours or so but it got better and better. I asked if it still bothered him some, he said "not at all for the last 9 years."

Roger

Street Tracker
^^ This 2Monkeys. Good story and it works. Last year both my knees started acting up from strain at work. I have now changed jobs and forced myself to do more walking. Not easy at first but it has taken most of the pain out of my knees and made walking easier. Lucky for me it has not had any affect on my riding. I will be turning 58 in December and the age thing is pissing me off. I have so many minor aches and pains from working in the oil patch years ago. This was before there were all kinds of safety standards applied to all industries and doing it the old school way meant 'go hard retard'.
As posted by a few of our members here, some have had to give up riding altogether which really sucks big time. Thanks for hanging in here and telling us your stories.

Ripcode

Scooter
I'm coming up on 49. When do the aches and pains start?

The only aches I get come from the weight lifting I do (5) days a week to stay strong. :D

Seriously. Start doing Yoga. It helps out A LOT!!! I know some really old folks that put young people in their 20s and 30s to shame...and they attribute it to yoga and a proper diet.

Diet also helps more than people realize. If you are eating junk food it can really mess you up. My girlfriend's mother has a bunch of health problems because of her diet. (It really saddens me). You don't have to go full on paleo, vegan, or anythig like that. Just limit sugar intake and eat natural/clean. I lost 13 pounds in a couple months just doing that (and I haven't exercised in several months due to my schedule).

Be mindful of your body also of what physical activity you can and can't do. As you age, things start get taken away from you (ability-wise mostly). So don't go trying to do crossfit or olympic lifting. If you do though, ease into it.

Cardio replace running or any high impact with bicyling or anything low impact like swimming, elliptical rider.

Its also never too late to surf or stand up paddle board. That is a great exercise.

As for riding, you may need to adjust the ergonomics to suit you better.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I'm coming up on 49. When do the aches and pains start?

The only aches I get come from the weight lifting I do (5) days a week to stay strong. :D

Depends on what you did in your youth...the more damage done early on, the more aches later on. Resistence training is great, but I hope you're being smart about it and wrapping your knees/using a belt. My right knee is about shot now from years of aggressive squat rack/dead lift work w/o the proper precautions. At 49, you should also be in the 'maintenance mode' and not trying to achieve new personal bests!

My aches have increased significantly in the past year or so (at age 52)...this coincides with moving from a modern house to a midcentury home needing tons of TLC. I don't have nailers and such, so most things are done old school w/ lots of impact to my elbows and wrists...this is where I'm suffering the most. Also my knees, hips, and low back are feeling it from all the lifting/toting/etc. associated with installing new windows, renovating doors, installing flooring, landscaping, yadda-yadda, blah-blah...oh, and moving everything I own. Yeah, this shit was a *lot* easier in my 30s/early 40s...

Wah. I'm still on the right side of the grass, can ride my thrux, sail, get it up, and lay it down. Lots more to be grateful for than to complain about...and when I do need to cry in my beer, it can now be a quality IPA instead of that crappy big production brewery stuff we had in the past. Its all good.

Cheers,

--Rich