Crash bar mods

A lot has been said about the flimsy crash bars and their propensity to crack the top bracket at the engine bolt fixing point. This is not surprising given the harmonic vibration that exists at the lower point of the crash bar where it floats in air beneath the motor. To understand what I am talking about, give the crashbar a sharp hit with the ball of your hand near the top then lightly touch the bottom part of the bar with your finger tips. The most common fix has been to simply join the two bars under the motor which will stiffen the whole structure and probably reduce the vibration to slow down the rate of metal fatigue failure. I decided to follow a more dedicated route by welding some lugs to the frame, modify the bars to suit and bolt the whole structure up as a solid unit. The touch up paint makes it look a little rough but I plan to re-powdercoat the bars as well as the (detatchable) front down tubes at some stage although I did have the "U" brackets powdercoated before welding them on to the frame.

During the process of welding the lugs to the lower ends of the crash bar we struck a problem. Because the crash bar is very light of weight and the look of the factory welding suggests alloy construction, we tried to weld alloy tabs onto the end. Big mistake! It's all steel... start again... doh! :stupid:

Scrambler039.jpg

Scrambler040.jpg

Scrambler058.jpg

Scrambler5.jpg

Scrambler4.jpg

This pic taken this afternoon. Fortunately I didn't put the bars to the test but I feel heaps more confident that the strengthened bars will be more than up to the task of protecting the front of the motor if I ever put her down the track.
Scrambler3.jpg

Scrambler2.jpg

Last edited:
No Specs neccessary and no kit planned although I have some other Scrambler goodies we are currently working on which we will offer for sale soon. Watch this space as thet say!