Common as muck

Skidmark

Scooter
Queensland 59th celebration for the Bonnie had 6 50th Anniversary bonnies, I got a picture of 4 then 5 but the 6th one showed up on a trailer then disappeared. But 5 in a row made it the commonest model there.

Skiddy

Attachments

• 4x50th front.jpg
    4x50th front.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4x50th variation.jpg
    4x50th variation.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
  • 5x50th.jpg
    5x50th.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

Skidmark

Scooter
Yea it was a good show the Original T120's are beutiful, there were a few T140's but the Hinkley stuff out numbered every thing.
We only went for the ride out, with the Ratbags, and stayed a short while. But a great effort by Historical Queensland.
Skiddy

Attachments

• blue 59.jpg
    blue 59.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • orange 59 2.jpg
    orange 59 2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
  • orange 59.jpg
    orange 59.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0

jewel

Scooter
Queensland 59th celebration for the Bonnie had 6 50th Anniversary bonnies, I got a picture of 4 then 5 but the 6th one showed up on a trailer then disappeared. But 5 in a row made it the commonest model there.

Skiddy

Your lucky we didn't bring ours to make it seven. We decided to bring the 69 & 02 instead. I have heard there were 20 delivered to Australia & one has been sent to USA.

Julie & Denis

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Chris the side covers are great. How did you manage to paint them and keep transfer!

Old family secret... :shh:

But since you asked.. I bought two new decals from my local Triumph dealer (they ain't cheap). I had a spare pair of black stock side covers, which I had my local painter sand the "BONNEVILLE" decal off of, reshoot 'em black, add the 50th Anniversary decals, then shoot 'em with clear.

I like the stock blue side covers, but I like the black ones just a tad bit better.

jewel

Scooter
Egg-zackly why I made mine look a tad bit different...

Chris the black side covers look nice but the 59 Bonneville never left the factory with a black side cover, even though there are those that will say they did, so I would not change mine as I like to leave it looking more authentic. There are plenty of 59's out there with the black side cover but it is not correct - I think it is an american thing.

Jewel

American thing ! So how come u had a 59 with black tool/oil box's at your show? :) Or you just trying to get a bite. As a matter of interest did you let the owner know the fact the 59 never had them in Black?

koifarm

Hooligan
It would seem, with the engineering technology available in today's world, that it could be quite possible to manufacture an "exact" replica instead of something in between old and new. It has to be the design guys at Triumph tweaking a design to make it somehow "better" but resembling the old style.
Take for instance the orange paint line on the tank. How difficult is it to look at an old one, and copy that exactly? But no....someone had the brilliant idea to make the line swoop a bit....why?
For a good example look at the McQueen Metisse replicas....right down to the last nut and bolt.
It's a bit sad that Triumph hasn't caught on to that but that's our lot with them.
I would have been Totally happy if my 07 Bonneville looked "exactly" like the '66 or '72 Bonnies I had but had to accept the designers "concept" of the bike.
I know, if I wanted "exact" I could have purchased a used bike, but the compromise was mine to own.
Maybe I'm just too picky but those thoughts are what I feel.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Chris the black side covers look nice but the 59 Bonneville never left the factory with a black side cover, even though there are those that will say they did, so I would not change mine as I like to leave it looking more authentic. There are plenty of 59's out there with the black side cover but it is not correct - I think it is an american thing.

Jewel

Jewell, Not to argue (I've been married twice,.. 'nuff said), but actually, some '59s did leave the factory w/ a black oil tank and battery cover. I may be mistaken (like I said, I've been married twice).. but I believe the '59s sold in the US were sold with black parts, and those sold in the UK (and elsewhere) were sold with blue/white parts.

See for yourself... check out the two bikes being auctioned off at this year's AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days in Ohio:

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/raffle/raffle.asp

I Know was written for Jewel but She is right. No Bonnevilles in 59 were produced with black oil/tool box. Here is a thread about it.

http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2859

Scroll to #8 and #9

This has taken a while to clear up and is now known for sure as a fact. But there are most certainly a lot of restorations that have used the incorrect colour.

And am sure jewel will provide more information when she reads this. I am still interested to know whether Jewel informed the guy who done the 59 restoration at the Queensland Historical Society of this?

Last edited:

jewel

Scooter
American thing ! So how come u had a 59 with black tool/oil box's at your show? :) Or you just trying to get a bite. As a matter of interest did you let the owner know the fact the 59 never had them in Black?

Hi David,

There were 2 tangerine 59's there with the black oil box cover and I did mention it. One owner, a friend of mine accepted it as true but didn't care & the other one got a little irate when I mentioned it so you learn to keep your mouth closed after a while and accept what is. My friend as mentioned above also has the vin # 020377 which is the first vin # used on a Bonneville.
I mentioned this fact to him but upon closer inspection you could see that it was fake - not what you want to hear. He purchased the bike when on a trip to England after it was in a fire at a museum.
The bike you posted from Italy is owned by Doug Mogano. He worked at Triumph from 1958 to 1983 and he will tell you that no 59 Bonnevilles left the workshop with a black oil box cover.

Jewel