Cold Natured 03' Bonnie

menzies

Scooter
After the winter hibernation my Bonnie has gotten cold natured. It takes about 6 miles for the engine to warm up, will not run without the choke all the way on and will not run over about 55 mph and kinda spits and sputters. I chopped the airbox last summer and fitted pod filter, 135's and 42's, and 1 shim under each needle, it has Norman Hyde classic silencers. It is also hard to start under 55 degrees. Before I did these mods it had the same silencers, 40's and 115's and 3 shims under the needles and would start in the low 40's and run good. Any comments are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

get yrself a battery optimiser and plug it in every night when cold weather. My bike has similar mods and same exhaust and is an awful bike when cold. But believe it or not this has totally changed its nature!

qwenzel

Two Stroke
Clean your carbs. Sounds like there may be some dirt in the jets, from being stored over the winter. Add some Sea Foam to the gas tank, that should hopefully cure your problem with the sputtering. The bikes are cold blooded and will take awhile to warm up, especially if its a little cool out.

dschief

750cc
+1 on the battery charger. These bikes require a good battery to fire up, especially cold. Also, +1 on cleaning the carbs. You didn't mention how many turns your idle mixture is screwed out. You may need another 1/4 to 1/2 turn out, if you haven't done so already.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
These carbed Bonnies, stock, run a bit lean to keep the Evil EPA happy. I do believe lean equals hot, or at least within specs. You richen em up, and you have to when you mod em, I think it makes em a bit cold blooded.

But then it could be the battery........ a tender is ALWAYS a good idea.

menzies

Scooter
Cold natured Bonnie

Thanks for the replies.

I have a brand new battery and use a battery tender. I did use stabil in the tank when parked for the winter and also used Sea Foam on the first tank of gas this spring.

I forgot to mention I did this mod last June and the trouble began this season
upon start up.

I will clean the carbs in the next day or two and report back.

Thanks again.

drlapo

Hooligan
it may be too rich already and you have sooted the plugs, take a look at them
a rich running bike however is not coldblooded
maybe blocked pilot jets, did you drain the float bowls prior to storage?

koifarm

Hooligan
Keep the Seafoam in every tank....works for me....about 2-3 oz each fill. I use the little medicine cups you get with cough syrup to measure.

menzies

Scooter
I have not had a chance to clean the carbs but did pull the plugs this afternoon and they are mostly white with a few spots of tan, I believe this tells me that it is running lean. My previous 03' had the T-120 replica sliencers with 42's and 145's and I believe I need to go up to al least 140's. The screws are out 2 1/2 turns.

Thanks for the help.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
I have not had a chance to clean the carbs but did pull the plugs this afternoon and they are mostly white with a few spots of tan, I believe this tells me that it is running lean. My previous 03' had the T-120 replica sliencers with 42's and 145's and I believe I need to go up to al least 140's. The screws are out 2 1/2 turns.

Thanks for the help.

I think you're right. It wouldn't hurt to clean the carbs while you have the bottoms off. I have a buddy who worked in a Triumph dealer before he moved for the west coast to the east coast. He told me they used to have to clean the carbs on Bonnies coming in from Thailand because they get gunked up so quick.

Of course you could go with a pair or FCRs.. ahem.. :eeek: