Coil options

msc66

Two Stroke
In my other thread it seems I've determined my coil to be faulty but the Nology coils are on back order and everyone is out of stock. I tried ordering from 4 different places now and have gotten availability dates anywhere from mid feb to march. Are there any other good options out there besides the factory coils?

Motley

750cc
Strangely enough, I ended up waiting months to get my replacement Nology coil. Nobody had any in stock. It seems they only manufacture three or four a year.

Are these things really in that much demand?

Maybe we (Triumph twin owners) need to source a more common ignition coil. I'm no electrical engineer but I'm sure it should simply be a matter of matching the correct resistance numbers, no? We know the Gill units aren't worth a shit, and the Nology replacements are as rare as hen's teeth. The mounting might be different, but possibly one of the bracket guys could figure something out...D9? I could make my own mounting hardware, but couldn't produce enough commercially.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
I spent the extra $$ for nology coils and say no difference except for a lighter wallet.

So often is the case with these type of things. I've always heard the term, GOLLYWHOMPER used for the sort of items that are supposed to make your bike/something go faster, get better gas mileage, jump higher, and all the makers claimed what-have-you's.
Let the buyers beware especially if you aren't having an issue with a bad coil in the first place. I do believe in upgrading any parts needing replacement with better quality, if it's available.
I purchased a Parabellum windscreen for my bonnie and one of the factory claims is better fuel mileage. I didn't see any increase in their MPG claims but it did do the job I wanted it for, that of blocking wind.
Them 'ol advertizing people and some salesmen(AKA, "Scoundrels") will say just about anything to separate a man from his money, always have, always will.

DandyDoug

750cc
As I said the coils were a waste of money as far as i am concerned.

The Parabellum Scout on my Bonneville was just the opposite, worked as advertised , at least for me.

I also put one of their windscreens on my 1985 BMW R80 and it has helped with fuel mileage.

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
In my other thread it seems I've determined my coil to be faulty but the Nology coils are on back order and everyone is out of stock. I tried ordering from 4 different places now and have gotten availability dates anywhere from mid feb to march. Are there any other good options out there besides the factory coils?

Hey Mike, give Jeff Taylor at Ridge MotorSports a call... I know he has had them and I seem to remember that he had some in stock last time I was over there...

Top flight guys and shop if you're ever in need... Tell them Tom from North Augusta sent you... I try to keep my "brownie points" built up.. =;-)

http://www.ridgemotorsports.net/

Also... another good source for coils is Pinwall Cycle Salvage via ebay... Yes, they're the stock Gill coils but you can usually find one that is fairly new, low miles and has the plug wires on them for $25... Cheap for a set of replacements/back ups...

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
I spent the extra $$ for nology coils and say no difference except for a lighter wallet.

What the Knology or any other "hotter" coil/ignition does for you is ensure a complete burn of the air/fuel charge... you won't see or feel much difference if you don't adjust your tune to take advantage of it...

The other factor that is supposed to go along with the coil "upgrade" from the Gill unit is better reliability... I haven't really had any problems with the Gill units and I have bought a couple of sets of them (with spark plug leads included) from Pinwall for 25 bucks when I see a set that is very "young" and low miles and I have bought other items so that I can keep the s&h charges low...

Bonneville09er

Street Tracker
i have a nology coil, wires new in box. was going to install and was told there is no advantage. i was thinking like cars and an MSD

henrys

Street Tracker
MSD coils really don't have much of an effect on modern cars either. They are good upgrades for cars with older technology coils (early 90's and older) but for anything made in the last decade it's not going to do much unless the coil is damaged or worn considerably.

The only time I've seen a coil upgrade make power is on very high power/liter engines that saw an increase of power going to a coil-on-plug setup. For a relatively low power engine like the bonnie it's not going to make much difference.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Hey JDUBYA... I hate to burst your bubble... but since 2007, all the "Classic Twins" Triumphs coming to the US have been made in Thailand... sorry 'bout that...

Don't know where you got your info but if ya take your VIN and go to the triumph website (can't remember where I found it,)and look up the numbers, it will tell you where your ride was built. In 2009 they built all the EFI models to be shipped to the U.S. in Hinckley. SO, no bubble bursted bo, but yours may of been made in Thailand but mine came from England. It's not the first time somebodys been wrong about my bike as someone also commented that the Bonnie Black models made in 2009 had mag wheels and turned up mufflers but looking at mine, I can tell ya that it has wire wheels and is styled like a T100 but without the tach. None of the 2009 pictures shown them being like that but seeings believing in this instance. I too bought mine from Jeff Taylor at Ridge Motorsports, still has their license plate frame on and he said that it had to of been one of the first EFI's made. It was built around 05/08 and labled an 09 and in ENGLAND.
Must be an oddball model!

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
Don't know where you got your info but if ya take your VIN and go to the triumph website (can't remember where I found it,)and look up the numbers, it will tell you where your ride was built. In 2009 they built all the EFI models to be shipped to the U.S. in Hinckley. SO, no bubble bursted bo, but yours may of been made in Thailand but mine came from England. It's not the first time somebodys been wrong about my bike as someone also commented that the Bonnie Black models made in 2009 had mag wheels and turned up mufflers but looking at mine, I can tell ya that it has wire wheels and is styled like a T100 but without the tach. None of the 2009 pictures shown them being like that but seeings believing in this instance. I too bought mine from Jeff Taylor at Ridge Motorsports, still has their license plate frame on and he said that it had to of been one of the first EFI's made. It was built around 05/08 and labled an 09 and in ENGLAND.
Must be an oddball model!

No... my two Bonnies both pre-dated Thai assembly and EFI dates by quite some time... and though I do deal with Jeff... a lot... I bought both of mine used... well... if you've got the odd one that escaped the UK... good on you then.... But your tag line comes across as (generally) incorrect...

Last edited: