Clutch upgrades?

nohawk

Rocker
Maybe I've gotten used to the 955i, but I sometimes wring the bonneville's neck ,off the rev limiter pretty often, at least just now and it seems the clutch is slipping. Is the a better clutch or springs avail. Is one needed for a 904 kit?

Get the Green Springs. Carlos at TPUSA can get them for you. You'll just have to replace the springs and it will help a ton. I'm running a stock clutch on my bike, except for the Green Springs, and it's holding great.

Craigore

TT Racer
I might do the same... when I really lay on the throttle I feel it "jumps" suddenly- thought at first that it was the carbs but seems like the clutch. I think the play is up to spec as per owners manual suggestions.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Yep, stock springs fail pretty quick after performance mods. Swap them out in a hurry or else you'll be burnishing the clutch plates and need work on them, too.

JoeRockHead

Scooter
Maybe I've gotten used to the 955i, but I sometimes wring the bonneville's neck ,off the rev limiter pretty often, at least just now and it seems the clutch is slipping. Is the a better clutch or springs avail. Is one needed for a 904 kit?

+1 on the barnett clutch. Even on a stock motor with only pod filter/open exhaust upgrades it is a noticable improvement. You will get plenty of "bang for your buck" from this modification. Ask Carlos while you're talking about stiffer springs.

Nick Morey

Rocker
I might do the same... when I really lay on the throttle I feel it "jumps" suddenly- thought at first that it was the carbs but seems like the clutch. I think the play is up to spec as per owners manual suggestions.

That "jump" might be a sign of worn out chain and/or sprockets.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I guess I might have to look into the springs too, as my sweetie will slip the clutch at certain points if I ride a little too aggressive ;)

dbacher06

Scooter
I heard the big negative to stiffer springs is that the clutch will wear out your hand really quickly as it is so stiff. Anyone have any experience with this?

MES

750cc
I heard the big negative to stiffer springs is that the clutch will wear out your hand really quickly as it is so stiff. Anyone have any experience with this?
I'm left handed and jerk off continuiosly so I can go with reds no problem.

As for the right handed Nancy boys in the group, it (green springs) really aren't a problem.
if your worried about the pull weight then you could, if your on an early bike with the short lifter arm you can switch it out for the longer arm. This will bring the pull weight back to stock.

lifter arms are about $40 and it's an easy job.