Clutch replacement

cynr1023

TT Racer
What type of apparatus are you guys using when you need to loosen the gearbox sprocket nut? I'm thinking I just broke my pressure plate trying to hold the clutch in place.

Random thought, maybe it's not my clutch...

riding down the highway, all the sudden no power, engine is running, revs when I give it gas, changed gears up and down nothing, can actually change gears without pulling the clutch in....thoughts?

Last edited:

strokerlmt

ha…..I had that happen…..if you pull the clutch housing look at the starter motor. The crank gear it engages is only a press fitting. I found out about this because I had one of Matt Capri's 988 stroker engines and I eventually spun the gear off the press fitting install. I had a welder spot weld in several places, polished the welds, flushed the engine, no issues after that….BUT not saying thats your problem but it sure sounds like it.
Good luck…
LMT

cynr1023

TT Racer
Stroker,
Maybe I'm missing something, isn't the starter motor to get the bike running? It starts up fine and runs great, there's tension on the clutch lever and it springs back into place, there is just not movement in any gear.

Roger

Street Tracker
EDIT: Okay. Looks like what I wrote below is out to lunch. What strokerlmt is pointing out is that the large gear on the crankshaft is press fit and could free-spin on the crankshaft. Have a look at Matt's video on Youtube for some ideas. http://youtu.be/cN6gResRpu4

I was thinking you were trying to get your drive sprocket off.

Disregard most of what I typed below.

---------------------------------------------------

I think you two are talking about different things here. It almost sounds like you took your clutch cover off and tried holding the clutch to stop the sprocket from turning.

If you are trying to get your front chain sprocket off, I would have someone step on the rear brake while trying to spin the sprocket nut off. Why your clutch doesn't seem to be doing anything, I have no ideas unless the cable adjuster has been tightened and your clutch is constantly slipping.

You could try adjusting your clutch so that there is a very small amount of free play with the clutch cable housing and try using your gears again.

Don't forget that any adjustments to your clutch cable will really change how your clutch responds. You will have to relearn where your clutch grabs again. That part is easy, just don't be surprised.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Stroker,
Maybe I'm missing something, isn't the starter motor to get the bike running? It starts up fine and runs great, there's tension on the clutch lever and it springs back into place, there is just not movement in any gear.

Got you…..different problem….
LMT

cynr1023

TT Racer
Roger, trying to get the pressure plate off. Im pretty sure I broke it and its going to be almost 200 bones and a week and a half before I can get a new one in. That should give me enough time to rig up a home made spanner

Roger

Street Tracker
Ya, I got a little confused by your first post. Then LMT had another idea. Hope you can get this fixed quick. I don't know if B06Tang's video helped at all. I think he used an impact driver to loosen that nut. Not sure as I didn't watch the whole vid again.

mikenva

Rocker
air impact wrench will pull nut right off then put bike in gear to use torque wrench to put it back on.