Clutch Chatter

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
many, maybe most, bikes have a shock absorber in the clutch basket
my T140 had rubber inserts and many bikes have springs to take up the initial "shock" of clutch engagement
My Thruxton has an absorber assembly in the rear wheel but i suspect there is one in the clutch basket too
the "shock absorber" can wind up and release a few times when the clutch is engaged this can cause "chatter"
our clutches have no shock absorber, as I previously posted. The rear wheel absorber you refer to is called a "cush drive".

Previous chatter problems with early bonnies:

photo32.jpg

Clutch basket mounted:

crankgear.JPG

Pressure plate springs:

clutchtool2.JPG

Photos borrowed from Jorgen's site... http://www.stabbarps-auto.com/welcome.html

Greg

klem

Scooter
Wanting to keep this thread alive as i also have found noise coming from the LHS of my motor when taking off in first with a warm motor has anybody identified what this "clutch chatter" really is and what if necessary can be done about it.
Cheers Klem:huh:

T-boy

Rocker
Since I was the person that started this thread, I can only report that I don't hear this "chatter" anymore, and have come to the conclusion that my working of the clutch/throttle was less than stellar from a dead stop going up a steep hill (my driveway). All I really needed to do was give 'er some gas!

I from time to time when getting on the throttle from a stop I will hear the clutch sound as if the plates are slipping. Not very often, but it does happen. Sounds like a high pitched whining noise. I've heard many times that when any performance upgrades are done i.e. airbox removal + new silencers that this can happen due to inadequate clutch springs. I’ve been able to control it by controlling my clutch/throttle at take off. However, one of these days soon, maybe at my next oil change, I will be upgrading to the Barnet "GREEN" clutch springs.

Taken from Triumphtwinpower.com:

“When Triumph twins are modified for performance, they very soon require a more powerful set of clutch springs to stop clutch slip. Once your modifications take you close to or above 50ftlb of torque, the OEM springs will let the clutch slip at around 5,000rpm where most torque is produced.”

bluedes

Scooter
hi guys,,i found my 04 bonnie had clutch chatter when i used castrol oil,got really bad when oil was up to temp.changed to motul 5100, no more problems..castrol was gps semi syn

Bigted

Two Stroke
Since I was the person that started this thread, I can only report that I don't hear this "chatter" anymore, and have come to the conclusion that my working of the clutch/throttle was less than stellar from a dead stop going up a steep hill (my driveway). All I really needed to do was give 'er some gas!

I was actually wondering if you might have been lugging the engine and thereby causing the noise....turns out to have been the case as you discovered. If you have the basic bonnie you can get tach for approx. $40, not too difficult to hook up.