Clearing

dbacher06

Scooter
I am having my sprocket cover etched and we need to remove the clear coat first. Has anyone had to re-clear any aluminum parts, not painted? If so what did you use and how well did it hold up and look?

klink

Two Stroke
Not quite sure I understand where the question is. Removing clear coat? Re-clearing parts?

I have removed clear coat with Easy Off oven cleaner. It was quite easy. Spray on, let sit for bubbling to end, rinse with water and a green scratchie and dry. Check all that you wanted is off or get the remainder the same way. Prep the surface of the raw piece the way you want and do your clear or just polish it out.

Re-clearing really just makes it easier to keep clean as in you are just waxing the cleared surface. If you don't it just requires extra polishing maintenance on the plain aluminum surface.

Anyway it's what I've done and I'm happy with the results. Oh and I don't re-clear as I like to waste time polishing.

coopv2

Street Tracker
A good automotive paint stripper will get the old clear off pronto, as it is quite thin,
To reclear you have a couple of options, Powdercoat clear is one. but I suggest you look into a product called POR15 specially formulated to adhere to polished metal. recently used it to clear coat a customer tanks and fenders that have that scuffed/buffed metal look finish.
Or if its only 1 small part and your into a budget solution , then head on down to the auto parts store and look for some EPOXY clear coat in a can. for mag wheels or bull bars.
make sure you clean the parts several times with acetone or thinners to remove wax etc.

Rocker

Two Stroke
coopv2 is correct about the clearcoat, you need one that is formulated to adhere to bare metal. Normal automotive clearcoats are formulated to adhere to the coloured basecoat and tend to peel if applied straight to bare metal.
Check out if there is a outfit locally that refinishes automobile roadwheels, they should have the correct clearcoat for when they refinish alloys.