cleaned tank, now bike is starving for fuel

Craigore

TT Racer
dudes, I stripped the exterior of my tank the other day, pulled and cleaned my petcock, and rinsed the inside of my tank with hot hot hot water and dish soap to get all the shit out of it.

I buttoned up everything last night and filled her back up but it seems as if it's now not getting enough fuel to the carbs. any suggestions? I know that the little "hidden filter" at the T where the line goes to the two carbs can sometimes get clogged, though I haven't tried pulling that yet.

starts and idles fine but bogs down when I lay on the throttle so I know it's getting fuel after it sits for a little bit.

Craigore

TT Racer
weird. drained the float bowls today, super dirty and slimy shit coming out. must not have rinsed the tank well enough before putting in new gas. running fine now, guess I'll have to check it from time to time.

in the meantime I think i'm going to remove that hidden filter and run an in-line joint.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

Twodogs

Street Tracker
If I am cleaning a fuel tank, I always poor in a good couple of litres of metho after the clean, shake the tank to try and get the metho to contact all areas and then let this drain out the tap hole (Tap removed) and the filler hole, even repeat this a couple of times. I believe the metho helps break down any of the water still inside and helps get it out. I put it in my ears if there is water trapped after swimming and the water just runs out.

koifarm

Hooligan
Assuming Two Dogs is referring to isopropyl alcohol that would be an excellent method for insuring there is no more water in the tank from the washing out procedure.
If you want to use rubbing alcohol for that be sure you get the 99% variety to insure good water absorption.
Also a good idea to add a pint once a year to your automobiles/trucks, it's just good maintenance and will rid your tank of any accumulation of "goop" lurking on the bottom.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Isopropyl is probably better but metho (Methylated spirits) is a good substitute and I have it in the cupboard all the time. I am wondering if WD40 would not be a bad idea to spray inside and then just give a rinse with fuel??

bonZa

Street Tracker
using metho may be OK with carbed bikes and has been used for years by people living in remote regions where fuel is delivered in drums that are stored outside and prone to water ingress, but not so sure with EFI bikes as a friend of mine stuffed up his O2 sensors in his car by doing that causing it to run like shit