Chop Cult's 2012 Sportster vs T100 Shootout

Oxblood

750cc
Thought some of you guys who may not hang out over there may like this series from Chop Cult.

The Triumph:

2012 Triumph Bonneville T100

1073_album.jpg

The Harley:

2012 Forty-Eight

1044_album.jpg

The Winner:

"The Harley 48 makes me a believer in the bar hopper philosophy; one hour into my first ride and I needed a drink." :lol:

ivar

TT Racer
I really like the looks of the '48', but cramped ergos and non-functional rear suspension doesn't sound very tempting

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I had a XL1200S once upon a time. Parked right along side it though was my Bonnie as well and hands down...no question...the Bonnie wins every time. I know...big freaking news as we are on the New Bonneville forum but at the end of the day, you have to go with floats your boat and Trumpets have been keeping me floating for a few years :D

rickg

moped
I wonder if they would have come to the same conclusion if they had compared our beloved Bonnie to the Sportster XLR1200. That Sporty is pretty cool and would have been more comfortable and a better handler than the 48 they compared.

Rick G

Wheelhorse

Scooter
Rick,

Maybe that's why they went with the t100. I believe the SE would have been the better choice for handing, but even then, the Sporty XL would still beat it at the strip due to the lack of cc's on the Bonnie's part.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I got my Black because it just plain had better ergonomics for me and I could get into a new one for the buckage I had to spend. I have never, ever, regretted my choice. My Bonnie is so much fun and giving "good motorcycle" is what it's about.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
The Bonnie will blow that POS into the weeds. Sorry, but with those tires and a full half inch of rear suspension travel and those forward controls thats not even gonna be close, especially if the guy riding the Bonnie can lean. The Bonny can just carry more speed in the turns and has more top end. Hey - my bike is good.

Last edited:

Mark

750cc
I wonder if they would have come to the same conclusion if they had compared our beloved Bonnie to the Sportster XLR1200. That Sporty is pretty cool and would have been more comfortable and a better handler than the 48 they compared.

Rick G

I've ridden it and it goes like a raped ape so don't try to drag race one you will lose. The brakes and suspension are also a cut above. The styling sort of left me cold and the instrumentation is a joke. Sitting at a stop light it jumps around more than a washing machine with 3 legs on spin cycle. Then there is the price in Canada it is 3k more than the T 100 and you may or may not be able to find one at the dealer. I took a pass and was glad I did.

rodhotter

Scooter
an unfair compare at over $10,000 and 1200 cc, the 883 is more equal, i own a 2012 base bonnie as well as an 06 XL1200L, which needed better brakes and suspension upgrades, its a better cruiser IMO as the lbs adds stability but as a fun bike that handles and brakes well you cant beat the base bonnie or t-100 as well

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I actually sold my much loved (and much de-blinged) '98 HD Softail Fatboy to buy my '08 Bonneville. I had the Harley for 5 years and it was a lot of fun. Mind you, there aren't many current HDs that I would buy - the 48 was one that has attracted my attention.

But I absolutely LOVE the Bonny. Once I got rid of the airbox and rejetted, with some good mufflers, the bike is sooo much quicker off the mark than the HD is crazy. But it's not really that. I just love how the Bonny handles (although I did have to change the suspension to get it to handle this well!), how it looks and just how much fun it is to ride. Even though my Bonny is carb'd it warms up in no time compared to the Harley.

There is something about this Bonny that makes me want to ride. My Bonneville gets ridden more than any other bike I have owned. The way it is set up now it is as quick as I ever need, handles better than I can ride it and is solid as a rock on the freeway. And it doesn't leak a drop of oil!

rodhotter

Scooter
the harley is more of a cruiser, 48 is so lo it drags easily, the short suspension will ride poorly and its brakes are weak! my magged bonnie rides and handles well with good brakes, rear shock needed an upgrade!