Choke

drmuonfunk

Scooter
I've recently installed the British Customs Predator performance upgrade kit. Bike runs great but when I initially start the bike up with the choke out it revs for about 10 seconds then starts to bog down a little. I normally have to give it some throttle to get it up to 2,000 RPM's for a minute or so before it sounds like it's warming up. It's not a huge deal but wondering if I could optimize my choke settings?

curezee

Street Tracker
Try upping the idle speed with the adjustment screw. I noticed that I had to this a little with my Scrambler after adding the TORS, air mod and rejet.

Craigore

TT Racer
Mine does the same thing, I suppose this is an effect of removing the airbox, I have learned to live with it.

coopv2

Street Tracker
you may find its due to the carb warmers doing their system check, I do full choke on start up, run for a few seconds and go to half choke while i fit my lid, then start off on my ride and choke off after a mile or less. but I think its normal for the trumpy system to require different fuel needs as it reaches operating temp, and from what I have read so far on the variances in tuning for similar set ups. i am not surprised. So dont worry, just work out what settings work for your start up and ride off. But dont leave the choke on for too long and warm up at idle should only be a couple of minutes tops, then ride casual until at operating temp. or not.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
But dont leave the choke on for too long and warm up at idle should only be a couple of minutes tops, then ride casual until at operating temp. or not.

+1 to this advice.
It was always drummed into us apprentice mechanics that excessive choking produces a rich burst of pure petrol (gas) which has the tendency to wash off some of the oil coating the walls of the cylinder in which the piston rings reciprocate.

drmuonfunk

Scooter
It's the black know below the choke. Just turn it till the bike idles normal. Makes sure the bike is warmed up before you adjust.

thanks for the welcome, yes it is just new to me. 7K miles and runs like a charm.....
Looking forward to learning a few things on this great site.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
My bike does the exact same thing since I removed the airbox - it's definitely been a bit cold blooded. Did you put the temp sensor back on, or did you just leave it off? I left mine off..

I usually just ride a mile or two with the choke at full, then turn it off completely and the idle seems to stabilize.

bbrovold

Scooter
I have Preds and rejetted and I rarely need choke at 80 degrees. By the time the helmet and gloves are on it's ready to go.
Check your idle screws.

Kframe

Street Tracker
My bike does the exact same thing since I removed the airbox - it's definitely been a bit cold blooded. Did you put the temp sensor back on, or did you just leave it off? I left mine off..

I usually just ride a mile or two with the choke at full, then turn it off completely and the idle seems to stabilize.

Temp sensor?
I NARK'd mine a year or so ago, but I don't remember anything about that.

Mine definitely needs choke longer than before I did it, but once warmed up she's running well so I just deal with it.
-K

mikenva

Rocker
temp sensor is a little black thing about 1/2 inch wide but thats not what causes this.the only thing the carb heaters do is keep carbs from iceing you can unplug them ans wont know there not working.sounds more like your idle screws are to lean.

Kframe

Street Tracker
temp sensor is a little black thing about 1/2 inch wide but thats not what causes this.the only thing the carb heaters do is keep carbs from iceing you can unplug them ans wont know there not working.sounds more like your idle screws are to lean.

That little postage stamp size flat square with a couple wires out of it?
I've always wondered what that was for.
-K