Choke info

Brylcreem

Scooter
Hi all
sorry if this has been posted before but didn't find anything in search,
I have read about how the choke operates but still not sure about it, as I have had problems with fuel getting into my sump oil, started turning the tap off after oil and filter change but still doing it and needs another one, taking her to my local bike shop to sort it out soon,probably carb needles but I'm going to drain float chambers tomorrow and turn tap off overnight to check if the fuel tap is leaking as heard this can happen and want to rule that out,but wondered if the choke sensors could be faulty and pushing too much fuel through, the bike doesn't like the cold and I do have ride a short distance before turning choke fully off as runs rough without it until well warm, any info or suggestions would be great,
Thanks.

Last edited:

beemerrich

Street Tracker
The fact that your bike is a bit cold blooded even with the enrichener (i.e. choke) on tells me that you're not flooding things with fuel to the point of contaminating the oil...especially since the enrichener is only working while the bike is running and any overly rich mixture is getting sent out the tailpipe.

I'd investigate the needle valve seat integrity and petcock function as you suggested. This is the most likely cause of any gas making into the oil.

Regards,

--Rich

Brylcreem

Scooter
Hi Rich,
thanks for your reply it is now looking that way with your comments,I phoned the bike shop and they can fit me in tomorrow so will let them sort it, tanks coming off anyway so easier for them to check the petcock once removed, im sure it will be in for a while but will keep you informed when I get the result.
thanks again
Dave

dschief

750cc
Dave,
I'm following your thread with much interest. I am having cold-blooded problems with my 2005 Bonneville too. I don't have the problem with the gasoline getting into the oil though, but it does fuel foul the sparkplugs on cold days. My starting ritual is to crank it over for about 30 seconds, and then let it set for about 10 minutes. Then it will start.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Another option is to try turning the key on and letting it sit for 10 minutes, then hit the starter. With the key on, power goes to the carb heaters.

If you're running lean, cold starting is a bitch. Even on warm days, Bonnielass' bike needs the choke to start - her pattern is, choke out, one twist of the throttle, then hit the starter and it lights. And it takes a good long time (10 minutes?) of riding before she can put the choke in.

I on the other hand, have different jetting and am a little richer - on warm days no choke no throttle it wakes right up. Only on cold cold days do I need the choke, and again, it wakes right up.

dschief

750cc
If memory serves, the carb heaters only work below 32 degs F. I'm talking below 50 degs F. Warmer than that, a bit of the "choke" (enrichner) and hit the button lights it right off. My Thruxton, on the other hand, starts everytime, all the time.

Brylcreem

Scooter
Hi guys, I must admit I think she runs lean as plugs rarely have any colour on them, the shop are going to fit new fuel and float needles which should fingers crossed stop my sump filling with petrol, and I expect them to tune and balance the carbs too, will find out when they call me to pick her up, soon I hope.
Is it right that you should turn the fuel tap off every time you leave the bike, as I have never done this on other bikes before, only now I got this problem with my bonny and told I should close it.
I have tried leaving the ignition on and fuel tap open and full choke for a while before starting and she does fire up first time, but chugging at such a slow idle speed she would stall, almost like running uneven, start again and fires up, stutter a bit then suddenly smooth out and runs fine, choke half in and I'm away, but when pushed fully in idle usually too slow, but warmed up idles fine, will update when I get the call, the weather here has been warmer for a while so looking forward to getting her back.
Cheers guys.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
05 Thruxton
125 mains
40 pilot
2.5 turns
1 shim
3.0 slide vent hole
Polaris air box venturi
Uni filter element
EPCO silencers
starts immediatly with full choke
then push the choke in about half way and let it idle for 1-2 minutes max
ride away

fordtech48

Scooter
If memory serves, the carb heaters only work below 32 degs F. I'm talking below 50 degs F. Warmer than that, a bit of the "choke" (enrichner) and hit the button lights it right off. My Thruxton, on the other hand, starts everytime, all the time.

According to the service manual the carb heaters come on at temps below 50degrees. So they should be working. I'm going to test mine on a cold morning with a voltmeter and see if they're getting juice and let the key on for 5-10 minutes and see if the carbs get warm.

dschief

750cc
According to the service manual the carb heaters come on at temps below 50degrees. So they should be working. I'm going to test mine on a cold morning with a voltmeter and see if they're getting juice and let the key on for 5-10 minutes and see if the carbs get warm.
Thanks, let us know on that!
Like I said, if "memory serves". The older I get, the worse it gets! Damn age progression!

Brylcreem

Scooter
Well I picked up my bike yesterday and she's running real nice, carbs ballanced after getting new float needles installed, fingers crossed no more fuel in my sump oil, it's been un seasonable weather here 20 c today, so she starts and runs great, I'm sure it won't last but loving it at the moment,

dschief

750cc
Good to hear Dave! Hopefully, you have got it sorted!
I took my Bonnie out yesterday, it was a bit windy, but the temps were nice. Started first try, with no flooding. I think I just have a cold natured bitch! Hahaha

Brylcreem

Scooter
Hi Dave!
My bike lives under a bike cover all year so when it's cold it's real cold, and used all year round, I now have salt corrosion on my headers, but still a great looking bike though.
Just looked at your profile pics, great bikes you have there :)

dschief

750cc
Thank you very much!
It's funny, when I saw your signature, it reminded me of when I registered my Bonneville on the Triumph website. I bought it used in 2009 with only 1300 miles on it, and it came with all black bodywork. But Triumph has it listed as Goodwood green via the VIN number. I always found that interesting, I wonder if a dealer changed it, or if was a factory slip up.
Of course it is silver and black now, so it really doesn't matter.

Brylcreem

Scooter
Going off track I recently bought a Gibson les paul studio on eBay, had it set up at local guitar dealers, authenticated it's a real one for me as loads of Chinese rip off copies around, weeks later I found the gibson certificate of authenticity and it had different colour and serial No on it, another oddity? Someone else probably has my one, so it does happen.

Last edited:

dschief

750cc
Wow, another coincidence. I have a 1982 Les Paul Jr, and a 1996 Les Paul Classic, as well as a bunch of other assorted Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, etc. Bikes and Guitars baby!

Brylcreem

Scooter
Nice guitars.... I've loved guitars since I was 12, have an SRV strat, my les paul, a 60s strat bitsa or custom shop copy, jury out on that one, and a Martin 00016 gt, played for over 40yrs but never been in a band, sad ain't it.

dschief

750cc
I don't know about that, bands have been the bane of my existance from the mid 70's, until 2007 when I hung up my strap. I just decided I was tired of playing for ungreatful drunks, for little money, long nights, and all the aggrevation that comes from being married and a father. I still do a few pick-up gigs, for free oddly enough, but I enjoy it much more now. I do it because I want to, not because somebody booked a "job".

Roger

Street Tracker
So, do you two have these installed on your machine heads?

Choke_Knob_1404.jpg

:lol3: