Cheap Synth oil

Craigore

TT Racer
Sal, good find!

BUT

I have to say, I am currently using this oil and I seem to be the only person having issues. I just don't like it. Hard upshifts and it leaks from my cam cover which never used to happen. I'm also getting a lot more blowback from the breather. Sure it carries the JASO-MA rating, but it's just too light an oil.

Alas, it's better than having no oil or non-synthetic. This may just be my experience, but I thought I would share.

drlapo

Hooligan
JASO MA only means the oil has no friction modifiers and is safe for a wet clutch
it is not a plus for the engine parts
5-40 is still a 40 at operating temps so I don't know why it would leak more than another brand
the 5 means it flows much better at start up, cold
blowback in the breather?? it is "cooking" and vaporizing?
is the level going down?
I love oil discussions

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
according the the guys as TS, this oil is formulated for diesel trucks and I am crazy for putting it in my bike. Well, it works fine. 19,000 miles and much of it on this Rotella T.

drlapo

Hooligan
I purchased a case of NAPA 15-50 synthetic at $3.49 a qt. I won't use it in the new Triumphs because it is energy conserving= friction modifiers.
it will be used in my old Triumph, BSA and BMW
my new bikes get Mobil1 15-50 from Wallyworld

There's a guy on the "other" forum who claims that Amsoil (specifically Amsoil) is bad for motors. I'd better switch to Rotella now before it blows up.

drlapo

Hooligan
Yup, everyone "knows" Amsoil destroys camshafts
Bob is the Oil Guy has pages of Amsoil praise and condemnation

JimmyR

Street Tracker
My project bike is an '82 Suzuki GS1100. The guys at the GS resources website rave about using Rotella oil designed for diesel engines. Apparently diesel oil has all the same stuff that bikes need. But those guys love mineral oil and swear off synth. Triumph tell me I must use synthetic, as did Harley when I had one of those.

Mark

750cc
what does the factory fill the Bonnies with, synthetic?

found this....

What they used to do was put oil into the bike and run the engine as a part of its test procedure on the delivery line. They then drained this oil out and left the sump empty for the dealer to fill up with fresh oil.

Now they drain it out and fill it with Castrol Power 1 GPS 4T to be used until the first service. This is a Semi-Synthetic oil.

After this first service they then specify the sump to be drained and re-filled with Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T, which is a fully synthetic oil.

The Daytona has not been transitioned to this new procedure. Bikes are still being delivered to dealers with an empty sump.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I suspect synth oil is a rip off. I mean, sometimes spending $6 a quart to change my own oil seems insane. But on those occasions when I leave it in too long, it still looks pretty decent. Dino oil tends to get really gunky. All of this probably has nothing to do with anything scientific and is just my observation. You want an oil that has zinc in it. And yeah, Bob the oil guy will educate you on all this. He seems to find the right zinc and other additives in regular old dino oil and from what I have read the dino oil tests fine my general impression is that many think synth is really not much better.

I have a van that has been getting only Mobil 1 or Rottella T synth its whole life. I haul a 3000 lb boat with it, drive it cross country and haul firewood with it in addition to just normal commuting. At 135,000 the engine seems almost like new. 26 oil changes x $30 = $780. Figure I spent maybe an extra $300 on synthetic oil in that time . YMMV.

Last edited:

Mark

750cc
how about operating temps any difference noted there? Dealer told me the synth runs cooler, I have my doubts but it would hold it's viscosity better under high temps than dino. Not wanting to get into the whole brand thing just curious. I really don't find oil expensive compared to the junk people pay for to put on their bike eg carbon fibre

Carbon fiber: I don't get it, for other than very high-end applications, and to make lightweight helmets. The look of the stuff does nothing for me.

Back to oil.