Chase Cam Track Footage.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Well here it is, friend suffereed a broken collar bone the day it was taken so he had an excuse for taking so long. I show up a few seconds into the video.
My buddy was on his 07 cbr 600rr doing some chasing. Before any old racers or anyone chime in, this is only my second day at the track and I need to work on braking later in the turns I KNOW! :) You oughta either be on the throttle or on the brakes, almost got that part down too.

If you go to you tube you can watch it in HD :headbang2:

Well I can't get the video to upload and embed so here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txzWuybIJLE

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Man!! That was one of the best bike videos I've ever seen in temrs of sound and video quality.

You have such good skills in that you can climb around on the bike. But you need to go faster in the turns. I think another 10 - 15 mph will improve your lines because with all that eccentricity on your cg you need a lot of speed.

What do they tell you at the track in terms of trail braking? Is it expected with the experienced guys that you trail brake in without crashing the guy behind you or getting run over? Its gotta take some balls to trail brake in with the sound of that 600 coming up behind you..

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Man!! That was one of the best bike videos I've ever seen in temrs of sound and video quality.

You have such good skills in that you can climb around on the bike. But you need to go faster in the turns. I think another 10 - 15 mph will improve your lines because with all that eccentricity on your cg you need a lot of speed.

What do they tell you at the track in terms of trail braking? Is it expected with the experienced guys that you trail brake in without crashing the guy behind you or getting run over? Its gotta take some balls to trail brake in with the sound of that 600 coming up behind you..

Gopro HD. :C I'm only at the novice level so I haven't worked on trail braking yet, really if I braked later into the turns and carried a little more speed it'd be respectable, but don't forget there is also traffic that is slower out on the track so that hindered me somewhat, the novice passing rules are strict. Not much is left to be had in terms of middle corner speed, (ran in an open with advanced riders session and they were about the same speed in the corners maybe 5-10mph more) I could probably get on the gas a little more aggressively, but braking too early is where I'm really losing time.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Gotta go with Sal on this one...

One of the best looking/sounding bike vids out there.

You should try the camera set-up for some normal riding....

Form looks really good!!! It looks like you can get your chest a little lower, but its looking from behind. You definitely can carry more entry speed to corners. It looks like you have a good amount of lean left to take it further. Faster =more lean angle Plus, the 865's are really tame on power, so Im pretty sure you can get on the gas earlier out of corners too.

If riders ahead of you are making you brake a lot sooner, then bump up to the B Group. That way you can enter turns a lot faster. Believe it or not, the Bonneville is where I learned how to trail brake. Trail braking definitely is an advanced technique, but should be easier to learn on the Thruxton you have because the brakes should be tamer than a sportbike.

One day I'll track my Bonnie, but I would need to get higher rearsets and and upswept exhaust.

BTW what tires were you using? Pirelli Sport Demons?

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Form looks really good!!! It looks like you can get your chest a little lower, but its looking from behind. You definitely can carry more entry speed to corners. It looks like you have a good amount of lean left to take it further. Faster =more lean angle Plus, the 865's are really tame on power, so Im pretty sure you can get on the gas earlier out of corners too.

If riders ahead of you are making you brake a lot sooner, then bump up to the B Group. That way you can enter turns a lot faster. Believe it or not, the Bonneville is where I learned how to trail brake. Trail braking definitely is an advanced technique, but should be easier to learn on the Thruxton you have because the brakes should be tamer than a sportbike.

One day I'll track my Bonnie, but I would need to get higher rearsets and and upswept exhaust.

BTW what tires were you using? Pirelli Sport Demons?

Sport demons FTW, I have to be careful coming out giving it too much throttle, i can give a little more what I call maintenance throttle mid turn but I've found the limit on exit throttle, she will spin up and wide if you give too much. I would bump to the B group but I don't feel I'm there yet, that particular day there also happened to be 2 cruisers out there as well really hampering the whole day. But for my second track day ever I reckon I'm on pace, going again on the 24th of this month and if I'm feelin good will bump up to intermediate in the afternoon.

I raced in open national events back in the 70’s, I still go hard with the young blokes on the street when the mood takes me, so my comments can be taken as constructive or out dated. It looks to me that you having a ball, great stuff, go for it. Try to concentrate on nailing the racing lines. There is a fast way around every circuit, it turns those small straights into extensions of the previous and next corner. When you are running smooth from apex to apex, driving hard on full throttle out of the corners and still under brakes well into the corners, that’s when I think you should be working on the knee down thing. Chase smooth and consistent lines, the style will follow, if it doesn’t, too bad, fast is what we are after.

Edit, avatar is "otherwise" back in 76 on a 125GP bike.

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I raced in open national events back in the 70’s, I still go hard with the young blokes on the street when the mood takes me, so my comments can be taken as constructive or out dated. It looks to me that you having a ball, great stuff, go for it. Try to concentrate on nailing the racing lines. There is a fast way around every circuit, it turns those small straights into extensions of the previous and next corner. When you are running smooth from apex to apex, driving hard on full throttle out of the corners and still under brakes well into the corners, that’s when I think you should be working on the knee down thing. Chase smooth and consistent lines, the style will follow, if it doesn’t, too bad, fast is what we are after.

Edit, avatar is "otherwise" back in 76 on a 125GP bike.

:up: Yup, a few of my lines need to be adjusted, primarily in the corner that I first appear just before at the end of the back straight, and the first hard lefthander right after that, otherwise I'm on the race line. Braking later into the turn is my biggest area in need of improvement. Consistency being my second, but some laps you just don't quite feel it, and it is easy to blow an entrypoint and get thrown off. These are only track days and not a race so when those laps happen I just cool it and regain composure, no reason to bin it because I did something stupid!

Got anymore photos of your old bike and racing days?

Beachfinn

Scooter
Excellent footage indeed :)
how much does a track day go for in your neck of the woods? I do wish there was a track close by....

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Well you can cornerwork for a day and get a free track day credit. Otherwise my friend runs this school and the prices are from 100-125 depending on the class you are running. Some in the area go up to about 150, we have 3 tracks that are relatively close . Motor Sports Ranch Houston (MSRH) Grand Sport Speedway (GSS) and Texas world Speedway (TWS) Then in dallas there is Cresson and word is they are building a new track in or around nola.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Nice video. Smoothness comes with practice.

Got a bigger pic of your avatar?

821879057_dsc_3786.jpg

I have a few more as well but they're all essentially the same.

very cool. thanks for posting. i may have to try a track day after watching that vid.

DO IT. You may be the only one on your style or type of bike but you really do learn stuff you can apply to the street to keep your rear alive AND have more fun.