Character

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Interesting article. There's been lots of bikes I owned that I felt had character or I probably would not have owned em.

The newbonnies have character I think.

gcrider

Street Tracker
I don't think Egan has ever written everything I didn't like. I subscribe to Cycle World and Road & Track, and Egan's monthly articles are always the first thing I read. I also own all of the books that are compilations of his articles from both mags. Great stuff.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I also like Peter Egan. I think he did a good job with the article. Difficult subject but defintely something to consider when buyiug a motorcycle.

KingBear

Hooligan
This is the kind of topic that really can't be covered in an article. How do you sum up what constitues character with regards to, well... anything, in a few hundred words. I'd have to say that covering a topic like that requires a few thoughtful people with copious quantities of alcohol and no place else they need to be, just hanging out and talking it through. I volunteer! :)

Character (with regards to things as opposed to persons), is derived from that element(s) a thing possesses which sets it apart from others which, though perhaps technically similar, either lack that element or possess others of their own. It may or may not be quantifiable or even identifiable, and is likely purely subjective. As the author pointed out, what may be an endearing quirkiness to one observer may be nothing more than an annoyance to another.

Shall I go on? I think not. The little hand on my watch is still to the left of verticle and the sun is up, which means I am still consuming caffein as opposed to the aforementioned alcohol.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
Peter Egan has been and continues to be my favorites. When I read the article initially when it was published I felt he could have written much more on the subject. In fact I wish he would.
He is VERY qualified on the subject.

Mark

750cc
Character (with regards to things as opposed to persons), is derived from that element(s) a thing possesses which sets it apart from others which, though perhaps technically similar, either lack that element or possess others of their own. It may or may not be quantifiable or even identifiable, and is likely purely subjective.

Egan jr.
well said

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I look at my bike as a blank slate when I first get it; she gets her character by the places she goes to with me and the things that are done with it. I started several years ago of collecting maps where I have been riding and highlight the routes that I ride and will frame them up for garage art. Eastern part of Canada, about half of the states, England, Wales, Scotland, Germany, France, Japan...these are some of the routes I have rolled through on one of the two Bonnies in my shed. To me that is character on my bikes...not anything coming off the factory floor. With that said though, I do appreciate and value the history of Triumph and I really enjoy the fact that the badge on the side of my bike has been rolling down the road for over a century now.