Changing the front sprocket to 18/19 tooth? Need advice

Bullitt

Two Stroke
This weekend I am finally getting around to doing the airbox removal kit from British Customs along with their AI removal kit too. I'm can't wait and have been wanting to do this mod since i got the bike (it's an '05 Black Bonnie). I am considering changing out the front sprocket to an 18 or 19-tooth but am not completely sure what I'm gaining vs. what I'm losing.

I do drive freeways pretty often, doing a fare share of commuting through Los Angeles Orange Counties. I also like to do canyon riding and often ride with I have a few buddies on crotch rockets.

Pros/cons? Personal opinions? Advice? All is welcome....

Thanks in advance,
Bullitt

DandyDoug

750cc
I went from an 18 to a 19 on my 05 T100 shortly after I bought it while living in the land of flat Florida. Dropped rpm's about 400 - 500 at 70+ MPH, improved fuel economy and I no longer was hunting for a 6th gear.

After I moved back to the land of twisties and mountains, NC. I thought about changing it back to an 18 but never found the need. Still get great MPG in the mountains and enjoy hearing my Staintunes sing as I go through the gear box in the twisties.

No regrets !

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
I ride my Bonneville more in tight turns than freeways but I still prefer the 19T countershaft sprocket I installed about 6 mos. ago. I may even drop 3 teeth on the rear soon... If you want to spin it up all you need to do is down shift a gear (or 2). Simple enough to do that.

I just moved from a 17T to a 18T and I like it.:) I now find myself riding around in 3rd and 4th gears a lot more.
The bike now cruises confortably at 75/80 mph in 5th without me constantly trying to switch into sixth gear.
I think going from 17T to 19T could be too much. My 2005 790 Bonneville had a 17T stock.
You should check what size your motorcycle has before you upgrade.

Last edited:

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I was kicking around putting the 18t from my 865 motor on the 790, but I don't really feel like buying a new torque wrench.

:D

MuckSavage

Scooter
Put the 19t on my SE, and there is a slight power drop coming out of the gate. Need to give it a bit more gas to get going, but overall I like it. I always felt the bike revved too high, and was always searching for 6th.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
I just moved from a 17T to a 18T and I like it.:) I now find myself riding around in 3rd and 4th gears a lot more.
The bike now cruises confortably at 75/80 mph in 5th without me constantly trying to switch into sixth gear.
I think going from 17T to 19T could be too much. My 2005 790 Bonneville had a 17T stock.
You should check what size your motorcycle has before you upgrade.

This is what I was hoping for. I'm pretty sure I have a 17t front and am constantly trying to shift into my imaginary sixth gear. Sounds like the general consensus is that if I do in fact have a 17t, I should just step up to an 18t.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

mikenva

Rocker
I have a 17,18 and 19 .I think I like the 19 best and the 17 the least. 18 is good all around .I ride mine to work everyday mostly high way rideing the 19 is so much better at high speed .

Bullitt

Two Stroke
I have a 17,18 and 19 .I think I like the 19 best and the 17 the least. 18 is good all around .I ride mine to work everyday mostly high way rideing the 19 is so much better at high speed .

Hmmm..... So you're just sacrificing more low-end then?

mikenva

Rocker
Hmmm..... So you're just sacrificing more low-end then?
no my bike has enough power that its not giving up anything on the low end it revs quicker with a 19 on it then a stock bike will with a 17.A 17 on my bike as it is now if you hit the throttle at 3000 rpm in 1st gear its hard to shift it into 2nd with out hitting the 9000 rpm rev limit.The 18 works good for all around rideing .But the 19 makes the motor work just right.I liked the 18 best when my bike was stock.Its all a mater of finding what works best for you ,the type rideing you do ,how much load the bike carry .A big guy might need a smaller sprocket up front then a little guy allso.Sprockets are cheap and easy to change try them all and see what you like best.

slobinski

Scooter
I changed to a 19 tooth right after our beloved Gov. Kolonoscopy mandated ethanol-blended gas (immediately lost 4-5 MPG on that swill). Got most of the mileage back, and found the engine more enjoyable at highway speeds. I'm pretty happy with the change, overall.

jackblack

Scooter
Go for the 19T ( from 18T ) its gearing the bike should have No more looking for a 6 gear and makes the bike so much better to ride at least I can tell wot gear im in and not riding around at slow speeds in 5

I ride my Bonneville more in tight turns than freeways but I still prefer the 19T countershaft sprocket I installed about 6 mos. ago. I may even drop 3 teeth on the rear soon... If you want to spin it up all you need to do is down shift a gear (or 2). Simple enough to do that.

I'm with Xchoppers here. Mine is an '09 SE. I changed to 19T and I still look for 6th gear. The bike has plenty of power with no loss of grunt felt coming off the line. At some point I'll be looking to drop teeth in the back too.