Changing my bars out tonight. How do I remove these things?

Ninja K

Two Stroke
They appear to be caps that cover the bolts. How do I remove them? With just a screwdriver??

1038463964_GMuma-L.jpg

Bonniebret

Rocker
Be sure to tighten the upper clamp bolts then the lower ones. Torque all four to 26 NM or 19.162 FTlbs. Oh, and PUT A TOWEL OVER YOUR TANK BEFORE YOU START!

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I'll usually use a knife to remove those. A thick screwdriver can nick them up a bit. Sharp knife edge gets right in there easy peazy.

+1 on the towel on the tank.

Some folks have issues getting the hand grips off. If you have a compressor, shooting air in there makes them come off with no issues.

Ninja K

Two Stroke
I'll usually use a knife to remove those. A thick screwdriver can nick them up a bit. Sharp knife edge gets right in there easy peazy.

+1 on the towel on the tank.

Some folks have issues getting the hand grips off. If you have a compressor, shooting air in there makes them come off with no issues.

+1 and spray some Windex on the bars to get the grips back on easier.

Thanks guys! Gonna give it a shot tonight! You guys rule!

Ninja K

Two Stroke
So the installation was a breeze thanks to the advice here and the bike looks great.
The only problem I'm having is the horn button is hitting the tank where as the starter doesn't come close to the tank at all. Everything appears centered and the bars are in a comfortable position. For some reason the bars hit on the left side. Is it possible that the bike turns more to the left than right? Or do I have some adjustment off?

Ninja K

Two Stroke
1055792322_Kj2fv-L.jpg

1055792998_RE48S-L.jpg

1055792322_Kj2fv-L.jpg

1055790992_JzGSg-L.jpg

1055809628_x2yib-XL.jpg

As you can see the, bars come closer to the left than right.. hmm.. not sure why. Are the bars mounted upside down? LOL

cynr1023

TT Racer
you may not have the right control group set properly, try rotating it further up so that the button clears the tank badge. If the bar is centered it's really the only reason I can figure that one side would hit and not the other.

my bad, that should say left control group, you know the one that's touching!

Last edited:

Bonniebret

Rocker
Very nice and welcome to the club. Yes, they're upside down. Some people including myself do that intentionally. Like Cynr said check the position of your right-hand controls as well make sure the bars themselves are centered. It could be the picture but in your second photo it looks like they're not.

Ninja K

Two Stroke
Very nice and welcome to the club. Yes, they're upside down. Some people including myself do that intentionally. Like Cynr said check the position of your right-hand controls as well make sure the bars themselves are centered. It could be the picture but in your second photo it looks like they're not.

I have Ace bars and I limited the fork stops a little by gluing short pieces of 1/4" fuel line hose on the stops.

Yeah seemed more natural to go upside down. I'll try and get play around with it a little more. I did my best to center them even after I took that pic and still had the problem. I could get around it by rolling them up or down but either way was not comfortable. Seems like the perfect angle is where I ran into problems.

I think I'm just gonna try a bunch of different bars to see what I like. I really liked the bars on the new thruxton. They almost seemed straight and than just a dip down. Are there any after market bars like that?

cynr1023

TT Racer
I went with the Drag bars from new bonneville first:
100_3857.jpg
100_3851.jpg

but ended up with Ace Bars I purchased off of someone on this forum:
33447f9f33eb__1253950054000.jpg
32e1484f4dcf__1253950077000.jpg

I enjoyed the drag bars, but wanted something different...............(no comments about the drag bars please)

Bonneville09er

Street Tracker
I went with the Drag bars from new bonneville first:
100_3857.jpg
100_3851.jpg

but ended up with Ace Bars I purchased off of someone on this forum:
33447f9f33eb__1253950054000.jpg
32e1484f4dcf__1253950077000.jpg

I enjoyed the drag bars, but wanted something different...............(no comments about the drag bars please)

i bought drag bars but never tried em, how'd you like them?

Ninja K

Two Stroke
I think I'm edging towards the drag bars.. might pick up a pair to try out. Did you need risers on them?