carb overflow, neutral clutch switch, highway performance.

whyme

TT Racer
You name it and I'm still having issues. Went for a ride today...did a little highway blasting and the bike began to run badly for a few miles-like not getting enough gas..then it was fine once I get off the highway. Since installing the ARK I've been plagued with issues like these. At one point I thought it was a tank going on reserve problem...stopped and filled it...took 1.5 gallons...nope. I even broke down and brought it to the dealer once and he said the carbs were out of sync (second time for that in 600 miles). Tried jets, shims everything...

Came home and decided to sort out why the bike will not start in gear with the kickstand up and clutch pulled in. Start it for a second in neutral- shut it off, fiddle with the wires a bit.... As I'm fiddling around I hear a gushing liquid sound...puddle of gas under the bike. What the fuck!! Started it up and it ran fine after that?? It seems like a random problem I guess. Any ideas on a random carb issue? The neutral switch is on the back burner for now. I can live with that.

nohawk

Rocker
Id try to sort the carb problem first too. This may sound dumb but I was having the same isuues, ran fine on small throttle openings but bogged like hell when I would wind it up kinda hard. I was thinking that a main jet had some junk in it but when I took the carbs off the left carb was missing two of the four float bowl bolts. I couldnt believe it had made it to Waco like that.

nohawk

Rocker
Oh yeah, how are yours jetted now? I would just make sure everything that is attached to your carbs is tight and double check the idle air adjustment screws. I have also found those to be off from what I had set them at before. Mine runs pretty smooth at 3 turns out. If you find any of these things to be an issue youll have to sync them again and then youll be stoked at how it runs

whyme

TT Racer
thanks nohawk. I think they are 135s with 2 shims.

It's strange, sometimes it runs like a top and sometimes it acts up...something random that I can't figure out. It's driving me nuts. When I bring it to the dealer they adjust the sync and tell me it's fine...which it is sometimes.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Well the carbs either leak or they don't, so I'd bet that's not really your problem. Possibly a pinch in the overflow from the tank and your gas cap seals so tight that after a while the gas is 'stuck' in there? And the fiddling with the wires unkinked the hose and let the backup drain out? Maybe a tablespoon or so?

If that's your problem, it might be worse on a full tank than on a nearly empty one (bigger air volume in the tank, you can stretch it more before there's enough vacuum pulling back to keep the gas in the tank)? Next time you get the bogging, loosen the filler cap and see what happens.

Good luck!

whyme

TT Racer
hmm...good idea, I'll give it a check. I filled it right to the brim too. It looks like not much gas could get down the vent tube the way it tucks up in the cap.

It's funny you should mention that. My friend just gave me a RedMax blower that had the same type of problem after about 15 minutes running. It was a clogged vent on the gas cap. Now he wants it back of course and he's trying to give me a different one...HA! Loser!

nohawk

Rocker
With mine missing the float bowl bolts it didnt leak a bit. The bowls are never full enough to leak through there. It may very well be something else like a pinched hose but mine acted the same as whymes is behaving.