carb icing...?

ivar

TT Racer
my (t)rusty ol' Dnepr was hard to start today, looks like I have some carb icing...:
DAG_0850.jpg

phil

Street Tracker
I've never heard of that on a motorcycle, is there alot of moisture around your part of the world.??

ivar

TT Racer
bike's been stored outside for a couple months, I'm sure its rain water that found its way to the float bowls.
Just found it very funny when i pulled the bowl just to find everything frozen solid :lol:

normandy

Street Tracker
You may want to inspect carefully for cracks in the casting. Expansion from frozen water will blow up just about anything.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I had the same problem when I had a ducati. Only the water had thawed and was in the float bowls just hanging around preventing the bike from firing.

I think just riding around in the damp for prolonged periods of time can mess with your floats. I got to thinking and I also had a "mold" problem with floats in my R90S. Damned motorsikles!

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
You can forestall that by adding some 90% isopropyl alcohol to the tank each time you fill up, the alcohol absorbs the water/moisture and is burned off as you use gas. In winter it's a huge help and will prevent your icing quite well.
What an unusual picture though, shows you graphically what a bit of water can do to muck up the works....

Kiwi

Two Stroke
You can forestall that by adding some 90% isopropyl alcohol to the tank each time you fill up, the alcohol absorbs the water/moisture and is burned off as you use gas. In winter it's a huge help and will prevent your icing quite well...
You can also use Methylated Spirits which does the same thing.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
my (t)rusty ol' Dnepr was hard to start today, looks like I have some carb icing...:
DAG_0850.jpg

You might want to try adding some gas to your water - I think you'll find that she pulls quite a bit stronger throughout the RPM range!!!! Yikes!

ivar

TT Racer
You may want to inspect carefully for cracks in the casting. Expansion from frozen water will blow up just about anything.

good point, but in this case the plastic floats would absorb most of the expansion.

You can also use Methylated Spirits which does the same thing.
Methyl alcohol is pretty agressive, this thing corrodes fast enough without :lol:

mikenva

Rocker
lol I had one wilder then that a few years ago at work .They left the pressure washer out side and it snowed on it .They bring it to me and say it wont start .I pull the rope motor is locked up.Let it set inside over night .Get ready to pull the motor off the next day .I pull the rope damn thing turns over pumps water out of the exhaust.I drain the carb and change the oil pull the rope the damn thing starts and is still running today lol.
Bore must of been frozen solid with water in it lol.