Carb heaters?? Temp sensor?

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I was working on my bike yesterday and had to disconnect the carb heater wires from the carbs to change the jets, and it got me thinking - why does my bike have carb heaters? Under what circumstances would you need toasty carbs?

I live in Western Australia where a cold night is 5 degreesC. Generally a cold winter's day is about 10-14C. Will my carb heaters ever be used?

Also, when I changed from an airbox to pods I found a temperature sensor attached to the airbox. I just stuffed it in with the fusebox at the front of the NARK as there was nowhere else I could find to put it. Does the temp sensor operate the carb heaters? Or is it for something else?

Thanks guys!

bonZa

Street Tracker
some info straight out of the FSM:-

Each carburettor is fitted with a heating element to prevent problems at low temperatures. The system is controlled by a temperature switch which is clipped to the right side of the airbox.

At low ambient temperatures (below aprox 10 deg C), the temperature switch supplies electrical current to the heating element on each carburettor. The heating elements then warm the carburettor bodies.

therefore I would not disconnect the heaters as even in WA it can get below 10C

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Ok thanks! Yes it does get below 10 sometimes here. Not as often as Melbourne does thankfully. I wish we could park our bikes like you can in Melbourne. Sometimes it's hard to find somewhere to park here.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I left the temp switch disconnected like it said in the NARK install stuff. Does that mean the carb heaters won't come on, or that they are always on?

Craigore

TT Racer
Sorry to dig this up but I'm getting rid of these heaters. If I notice icing, then I'll reinstall, otherwise they're going in a box.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Yeah I do wonder how necessary they are. Never had 'em on a bike before. I was on a plane in Denver once that needed the wings de-icing. I think I can remember how they did it...