Carb Float stuck open - need advice

fender

Street Tracker
I had removed the stock airbox a week ago and have been slowly getting the carbs set correctly. Last night I went out for ride after tweaking the pilot screw. I pulled into the garage and shut her down.

Later in the evening my better half went out to the garage and mentioned that my motorcycle was leaking. Gas was dripping out of one of the pod filters. I shut off the fuel valve and cleaned the mess up.

My question is what do I need to do (besides figuring out why the float stuck open and fixing that) to get the bike running? My first thoughts are to:

• change the oil
  • re-oil my air filter after it finishes drying out
  • fix the float
Anything else before I attempt to restart it?

Suggestions welcome,
Pat

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
To Do

Besides the above- run cleaner every other tank!! The gas ya get today aint the gas of the past- you dont know whats in it?? I do it reg & had no problem in 4 yrs!

drlapo

Hooligan
make sure the cylinder is not full of fuel ;you don't want a hydraulic lock
cleaner won't help, somehtng got past the fuel strainer and is lodged in the float valve seat, an extra fuel line filter may prevent a future occurance

fender

Street Tracker
make sure the cylinder is not full of fuel ;you don't want a hydraulic lock
cleaner won't help, somehtng got past the fuel strainer and is lodged in the float valve seat, an extra fuel line filter may prevent a future occurance

If the cylinder has fuel in it, what's the best way to clear it?

drlapo

Hooligan
remove the spark plugs,and turn the engine over with the rear wheel
do not ground the plugs and turn the engne over with the starter= KABOOM!
let it sit for awhile until the fuel evaporates then squirt a smal amoutn of oil into the cylinders to lube the top end
on a side note never turn the engine over with the starter unless the plugs are properly grounded or you will damage the ignition system

fender

Street Tracker
remove the spark plugs,and turn the engine over with the rear wheel
do not ground the plugs and turn the engne over with the starter= KABOOM!
let it sit for awhile until the fuel evaporates then squirt a smal amoutn of oil into the cylinders to lube the top end
on a side note never turn the engine over with the starter unless the plugs are properly grounded or you will damage the ignition system

Thanks for the info, I know what I'll be doing this evening after work.

koifarm

Hooligan
imho it goes without saying, as per the owners manual "when parking the motorcycle, turn the fuel tap to 'off'"

fender

Street Tracker
imho it goes without saying, as per the owners manual "when parking the motorcycle, turn the fuel tap to 'off'"

I was waiting for that reminder, as a general rule I use it but for whatever reason not this time.

koifarm

Hooligan
It's okay Fender we all do it at times....I've even got my butt out of my barcolounger at ten at night and gone out to the barn and turned it off.....
Where bouts in wisconsin are you? I've got a summer cottage up in Harshaw, near Minocqua and often go there in the fall....can't beat the fall colors up there...beautiful area....
Bill

fender

Street Tracker
Where bouts in wisconsin are you? I've got a summer cottage up in Harshaw, near Minocqua and often go there in the fall....can't beat the fall colors up there...beautiful area....
Bill

I'm in Menomonee Falls NW suburb of Milwaukee. I'm quite familiar with the area. The father-in-law is in Woodruf and other relatives with a place in Tomahawk. From what I understand there at or getting close to peak colors right now.

fender

Street Tracker
Thanks to the info from drlapo I've got it running again. When I pulled the carbs apart to inspect, the floats and plunger moved freely so I'm not sure why the one stuck open.

What would the symptoms be if the float is stuck open while riding?

drlapo

Hooligan
the bowl is vented. if the float stuck while rideing fuel would escape from the vent and the bike would run "heavy" this is unlikely however as the flowing fuel usually keeps the valve clean
although it did happend on my BMW once and my foot got wet
you probably dislodged the "debris" when you droppedt the bowl and "jiggled" the float