Carb blow back?

Malen

moped
HI, I have a 2001 Bonneville, I spent the summer cleaning it from top to bottom and upgrading parts. Mostly BC parts, exhaust, air box eliminator and AI eliminator. along with some cosmetic changes. I've changed the jets in the carbs and cleaned them, I've adjusted the idle mix screws and it idles and runs good. My local mechanic helped me with the jetting and has ridden it and said it feels good, no flat spots in the power band. Here is the problem every once and a while there is a "Blow Back" into the carbs from the motor, doesn't seem to be an explosion just unburnt fuel and air? Enough to cause the carb to jump off the carb boots if I didn't have the BC Carb Brace in place. My mechanic said it might be because its running a little on the lean side. I have pretty big Pilot and main jets in it now and granted it was being ridden in colder temperatures but could it be running lean? has anyone had this problem before?

drlapo

Hooligan
sounds like its lean
check the vacuum port plugs
are your carb rubbers sound?
what are your valve clearances?
how many miles on it?
42 pilot?
135 main?
shimmed needle?
opened slide port?

Bonniebret

Rocker
I was getting some wicked backfiring through my carbs this summer. Lotsa lean pop too. Turns out it the top of one of the vacuum caps had rotted over time and blasted off. Dropped a new one on and it fixed it.

I had this problem as well, until I pulled the air mixture screw and Pilot jets. Using carb cleaner and compressed air, I squirted carb cleaner up the mixture passage until it came out the passage where the pilot jet screws into, then blew out the carb cleaner using the compressed air, then went the other direction from the pilot jet out thru the air mixture screw and again, blew out the carb cleaner with compressed air. Did this on both right and left sides. I suppose that with a clogged passage way between the pilot jet and mixture screw would result in a leaner mixture.

Also... It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a rebuild kit for the air mixture screw as that itty-bitty rubber o-ring can get buggered up. However, I'm not sure how accessable those mixture screws are on the '01 models. Don't they have some type of plug that needs to be drilled out?

Last edited:

fordtech48

Scooter
I tried to get those O-rings to replace on my mixture screws but Triumph only sells them with the mixture screws which ain't cheap. Anyone know where to get quality replacement parts for OUR cvk carbs?

fordtech48

Scooter
Thanks, just ordered 2 kits for my carbs. Do you guys put the washer and o-ring on the mixture screw before installing it, or try to put the o-ring and washer down into it's hole then insert the idle screw?

When I took my mixture screws out, the washer and o-ring stuck in the carb.

Thanks, just ordered 2 kits for my carbs. Do you guys put the washer and o-ring on the mixture screw before installing it, or try to put the o-ring and washer down into it's hole then insert the idle screw?

When I took my mixture screws out, the washer and o-ring stuck in the carb.

I slide everything onto the mixture screw prior to inserting it.

In this order:
spring
washer
rubber o-ring (on top).

Malen

moped
Thanks everyone, sorry i have been away I have read all your input. It turns out to be the rubber boots and the clamps. I did some tests by spraying carb cleaner over the boots and the idle went up. So I took off the clamps and boots and found the clamps were bottoming out and not compressing the boot. I could twist the boots while the clamps were as tight as they would go. I got some tighter clamps and put everything back together and its running like a champ. No throttle delay no flat spots in the power delivery and no "Carb Blow Back". Thanks again