Car question

DandyDoug

750cc
As some of you know I have sold my Bonneville and trailer, I'm hanging up my helmet at least for a while.

So what to do next ??
SWMBO wants me to do another resto rod, she liked the 1964 Chevrolet , step side short bed I did.

So today I looked at a 1984 GMC Cabelero( looks like and El Camino) GMC built less that 2000 of them in 84.
It starts and runs well, has the usual electrical gremlins that plague something this old.
The body is mostly sound, I went over it with a magnet and found some filler in the usual places, but was surprised at how well it ran and looked. It was registered and on the road until about a year ago.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these or an El Camino of the same vintage ???

Doug

DandyDoug

750cc
Crikey, it's way worse than I ever imagined. I keep wandering around the house, then go in my garage and look at all that vacant space.
I hate to give up riding and may come back sooner than later if certain health issues improve. I am working out as much as my old heart will take, but it's real uncomfortable.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
I'm familiar with Rancheros and El Caminos. Even the nice ones have rust problems. Best case you will have some cutting and welding to do in just the bed and maybe floor panels.

If it's work you are ok learning to do yourself its not a bad project. Took two years for a friend to build his Ranchero. It needed a bed and floor. But his is show quality, new chrome and paint, hand made interior... ect ect. motor and bags too.

a 59 El Camino is probably the rarest followed by the second gen bodies. Those are the best looking ones. As far as the engine goes, dump it and get something bigger.

Also, I hope your health issues clear up. Bikes > cars

DandyDoug

750cc
I took a second , longer look at the GMC and decided to pass. It will take more time and money than i am willing to commit , to make it presentable.

ssjones

750cc
Those 80's era GM vehicles are pretty bad, I'm glad you reconsidered. Good luck getting something new for the garage. We sold our '96 Impala SS last Fall, I still get a lump not seeing it on one side, so I can appreciate your feelings.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I have owned several El Caminos. If you are going to spend the time and money on one start with the better years. The 80s are not worth the effort. Go with the 59, 60 and then 64 to 72. 59 and 60 are more of a challange with parts

Chevy is cheaper to work on and get parts for than the Ranchero although the Ranchero is just great also. Rust will be an issue in the floor pans, bed and the rear window area. Open the smuggler's box when considering buying a car to see how bad the rust is.

They are simple cars and easy to work on. There are lots of parts, new and used around.