camshaft leak?

drmuonfunk

Scooter
I'm a newbie to wrenching and just pulled my airbox and added predator pipes. I've gone on about 3 rides so far one a few hundred miles. Tonight I decided to take a zip around the city. WHen I got back I noticed there was some liquid that looked like it leaked out of the camshaft covers. Anyone have a clue of why this might be happening?

Deano

Two Stroke
when you say liquid, was it oil??? Should only be oil coming out from cam covers. Sounds like the covers need a tweak down (if not damaged) or possible check faces of covers and of rocker box, they might need a re-face. I had an oil leak at back of motor, the connector was tweaked by triumph guys, problem gone.

when you say liquid, was it oil??? Should only be oil coming out from cam covers. Sounds like the covers need a tweak down (if not damaged) or possible check faces of covers and of rocker box, they might need a re-face. I had an oil leak at back of motor, the connector was tweaked by triumph guys, problem gone.

do not try to tighten down the cam cover bolts. You will strip them out. If the cam cover is leaking it needs a new gasket, new cam cover bolt seams, or a thin bead of RTV.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
By the way, it's pretty much a common problem and doesn't affect the performance of the bike. It's just a nuisance. I had it and it was fixed under warranty. Took less than an hour.

drmuonfunk

Scooter
Thanks fellows. After researching a little last night I've read similar issues with the gasket. Unfortunately my warranty ran out in November on my 08. I'll call around or research how hard this would be for me to change out the gasket. I have a feeling this all started the last time my dealer checked out my cams. I have about 2,000 miles before my 18,000 do you think I'm safe till then?

nwraindevil

Two Stroke
I bought mine used with no warranty. Then my bonnie started to have the same problem. I took it in to the dealer. They fixed it at no cost because so many people are having the same problem. They said Triumph would warranty it. I believe this might be an unspoken recall of sorts?

normandy

Street Tracker
I would remove the four cover bolts, insert new washers and retorque. They get compressed over time and don't put enough pressure on the gasket. Or if you're cheap you can use washers to shim the existing rubber washers.

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
I would remove the four cover bolts, insert new washers and retorque. They get compressed over time and don't put enough pressure on the gasket. Or if you're cheap you can use washers to shim the existing rubber washers.

+1

bingo.... replace the washers or put two sets of washers like i did (but buy the specific washers sold on bikebandit)

torque bolts to 14nm. Problem fixed

drmuonfunk

Scooter
Ok so I'm replacing washers and not the gasket? Or both? I feel like I've seen the diagram. I'll call the dealer and see if I can get the parts or if they'll fix it under warranty.

normandy

Street Tracker
Ok so I'm replacing washers and not the gasket? Or both? I feel like I've seen the diagram. I'll call the dealer and see if I can get the parts or if they'll fix it under warranty.

You only need to replace the gasket if it is damaged, don't need to remove the cover or disturb the gasket to try the washer fix.

Deano

Two Stroke
do not try to tighten down the cam cover bolts. You will strip them out. If the cam cover is leaking it needs a new gasket, new cam cover bolt seams, or a thin bead of RTV.

Sorry about the wrong advice there. I should have known not to just go tightening something that's leaking, without checking gaskets etc. I guess on some parts it works OK, but not on cam covers, I would hate to think you went and stripped something based on wrong advice from me. Sorry dude.