cam cover

Mark

750cc
went out for a blast today and the cam cover is weeping a bit on the front brake side, maybe it's time for a chrome one but I think the T-100 has enough of that already :yawn:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Do a search and you will find a lot of threads on this topic. Here is what I did on both my Bonnies:

#1 buy 4 new crush washers
#2 put the new crush washers on top of the old ones
#3 Tighten down to torque specs
#4 enjoy the cam cover that will never seep again

Twodogs

Street Tracker
It is not a leak...it is the external lubrication system hard at work!!

It is a technical Rust prevention system for the bike created due to the pommy weather.
A washer of similar dimensions OD and ID of the standard seal and just the standard thickness of a washer is sufficient enough to be placed over the top of the seals to help clamp the rocker cover seal slightly tighter to stop the leaks. I used some copper sump plug washers. The problem is the bolts are shouldered to prevent over tightening but the shoulder shank is just a bit to long preventing sufficient clamping force to prevent the seal from leaking after it has settled. To start spacing the bolts up too far by placing another seal on top of the standard seal may result in stripping or snapping the bolt when trying to achieve the standard torque, which should only be achieved by bottoming the shoulder out on the head. To not seat the bolt on the shoulder and just tighten it to the correct torque can allow the bolt to loosen and therefore create a leak again. I cannot understand why Triumph just don't make an updated bolt with a slight shorter shank, it only has to be about 2 - 3 mm shorter. Must be making money on dealers for ever replacing customers seals. If you have a lathe another idea would be to just machine it down.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Mine has never leaked with either cam cover I've had on the bike and I've had it on and off numerous times. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe it comes from double checking my stuff periodically. I'd say first make sure its tight... If that doesn't try new gaskets.

Mark

750cc
maybe it comes from double checking my stuff periodically. I'd say first make sure its tight... If that doesn't try new gaskets.

right I'll pull the tank to check my nuts......don't think anyone would do that if it wasn't leaking

RumRunner

Street Tracker
right I'll pull the tank to check my nuts......don't think anyone would do that if it wasn't leaking

Well it takes me all of 20 minutes to remove the seat (two thumb screws) and the fuel tank (2 bolts, and two hoses) and do whatever I need to do and put it back on.

sanjuro

Two Stroke
Everyone who owns these bikes should know (or learn) how to pull the tank. Easy to do and incredibly valuable skill to have.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
OK, since it's Bike night tonight I figured I'd go out and clean up my bike a little (cleaning really isn't my thing) but while in the garage I figured I'd through the bike up on the lift, yank the seat and tank off so I could wipe off the engine and throw them back on. I was wrong on my 20 minutes :( It took all of 15.47 seconds to lift the bike up, remove the seat & tank clean the engine off double check the valve cover bolts and put everything back together... :D

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
RumRunner, Damn man, is that all? All that for a BIKE NIGHT! Sounds like your just a little more than a fella thats proclaimd he's not the cleaning type. I say that because you've even got it down to a certain time frame that its been done in.
What do you do for a living? NASCAR Pit Crew member!!!!

BTW-I just use S-100 and the water hose. Better living through modern chemicals!

RumRunner

Street Tracker
RumRunner, Damn man, is that all? All that for a BIKE NIGHT! Sounds like your just a little more than a fella thats proclaimd he's not the cleaning type. I say that because you've even got it down to a certain time frame that its been done in.
What do you do for a living? NASCAR Pit Crew member!!!!

BTW-I just use S-100 and the water hose. Better living through modern chemicals!

Nope honestly I wouldn't have pulled the tank but I wanted to see if I was off the mark when I said 20 minutes. So I started the timer on my phone, turned on the radio slide the jack under the bike and lifted her up when I noticed it was only like 4 min and change to remove the seat, tank, and cowls I figured I'd tighter heck my valve cover bolts, and clean off the engine while I'll could get to it. Trust me she's no show bike :)

Mark

750cc
It's a lot easier to get to the carbs with the tank off.

good luck finding them on my bike :)

pulling the tank is a no brainer but like I said I wouldn't bother just to check the torque on the cover bolts, I could spend that time chatting with nice fellows on the internet :wave:

fullspeed

moped
Finally did this today...
Removed bolts...
Added new (identical) washers from bike bandit directly on top of old washers...
Reinstalled same bolts... Torqued to 14...
Will ride tomorrow (raining today) and hopefully no more leak!!!