cam cover bonneville leaks?

grindal

Scooter
Hi,

on the left side of the engine of my bonneville i found a "benzine/oil " spot.
it's coming from the cam cover. it's not much but you can see / feel a dirty instance.

anyone has this also?

how to fix this? i cannot reacht the mounting bolts with the tank mounted, so is it just a matter of removing the tank? and fastening the one bolt of the the cam cover?

or is it maybe a bad fitted rubber seal?
bike is like 2 years old

for the momentit's like 30°C outside, could this be a reason of the leak?

greetz,

grindal

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I would say that this is extremely common. You know it doesn't affect the performance of the bike. I had it and my Dealer fixed it in about an hour under warranty. If you're fixing it yourself I'm sure the parts guy or service guy can give you the information you need to fix it. I'm guessing it requires a new seal.

Last edited:

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
I'm not sure I'd agree with it being 'extremely' common, but cam covers do leak on occasion. If your bike is still under warranty (doubtful if it's 2 years old), then your dealer can fix it. If it's out of warranty, you can fix it if you have basic mechanical skills.

Here's a key thing to remember.. It's VERY easy to overtighten the cam cover bolts. More than one guy has broken off a bolt, which goes into the cam retainer - and each is spefically machined. If you break one off, you'll have to remove the came cover, remove the cam retainer, have the broken bolt drilled out, then heli-arc the hole so it'll take a new bolt.

Bottom line - don't overtighten the bolts.

Installing a new gasket is a PITA..but easy if you have patience. I've found that by putting a small amount of clear silicone in the 'groove' (for the gaske) on the inside of the cam cover allows me to get it aligned before it 'falls out'. Gravity sucks... ;)

Last edited:

Carnation

Street Tracker
The only problem with putting silicon in the groove is it's a pain to cleean out next time you have to change the joint. A bit of grease in the groove works well to hold the seal in place and doesn't set.

tchef

Scooter
I had that problem. I found a post somewhere that you clean up the groove in the cover and wash the rubber gasket in dish soap,run a very small bead in the groove just to hold the gasket.Torque to specs and your good to go.Worked for me!:rock:

MattRat

TT Racer
same here = sweat gave me really good fixing instructions - just use RTV red in the groove and torque to spec and you'll be fine. My dealer was a fucking idiot and couldn't fix it after 3 tries, so I fixed it with sweat's instruction in about 30 minutes.

KingBear

Hooligan
Here's a key thing to remember.. It's VERY easy to overtighten the cam cover bolts. More than one guy has broken off a bolt, which goes into the cam retainer - and each is spefically machined. If you break one off, you'll have to remove the came cover, remove the cam retainer, have the broken bolt drilled out, then heli-arc the hole so it'll take a new bolt.
I am "more than one guy..." who snapped of the head of a cam cover bolt. :( I was in a state if panic until I realized the bolt was easy to spin out of cylinder head, so I got off easy. Invest in a torque wrench and use it carefully on these bolts. If in doubt, take it to the mechanic.

And if you don't snap the head off the bolt, you might strip the threads in the cam cap, so be careful or you'll be learning to heli-coil.

This leak is the most common "problem" with these bikes, but easily fixed. Triumph always covers it under warranty, you'd think they'd learn to assemble them so they don't leak (and issue a bulletin telling the dealers how to fix it).

mikenva

Rocker
first off the bolts bottom out when they are tighted the right amount any tighter does nothing.The bolts tighten on rubber washers they are what holds the cover down .they can get to thin and cause more leaks then the gasket.You can glue the gasket to the cover and use it over and over many times with out leaks if you put new rubber washers on.I use 3m weather strip glue it will peel right off if you want to change the gasket .It only takes enough to hold the gasket in place.

bonZa

Street Tracker
first off the bolts bottom out when they are tighted the right amount any tighter does nothing.The bolts tighten on rubber washers they are what holds the cover down .they can get to thin and cause more leaks then the gasket.You can glue the gasket to the cover and use it over and over many times with out leaks if you put new rubber washers on.I use 3m weather strip glue it will peel right off if you want to change the gasket .It only takes enough to hold the gasket in place.

thats a good tip. mine has the slightest of slightest cam cover leaks ever since I checked the valve clearances. before that no indication at all.

I think the temptation is for some people to overtighten the bolts.

Ben Quick

Street Tracker
Happened to me and the dealer "fixed" it during warranty. Now it will weep a small amount but only after getting up to 100 mph or more. I can live with it.

T

ttbonnie

from the factory thats the way it goes- dealer replaced and used a sealant on mine, no issues since

cam cover

also had the same problem. Cam cover leak after 6months, dealer warranty new seal.

Again at 18months, this time the cover is being replaced as it is slightly warped.

No questions asked, dealer immediately ordered new cover.

Coincidently this tied in with the bike getting the 6000 mile service. (new rear brakes)