Buying advice

klabick

moped
Guys:

Hi there. I'm totally new to the forum so forgive me if my post is off base.

I have been lusting after the Scramber for over year now - and I've finally decided to take the plunge. Looks like I can walk out the door with a 2010 model for $9500 all in. I'm prepared to do it but I can't help wondering if it makes more sense to grab a used bike off ebay or craigslist for something closer to $5-$6k. I understand 2009 and later are fuel injected. And then there's the warrenty you get from buying from a dealer. Are these two things worth the extra $3500+?

-KDL

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I suppose it depends on what part of the country you live in as some areas have better deals than others. That being said, I recently bought a 2010 with Arrow exhaust installed for $8300 OTD. Now I did purchase a demo model with 97 miles on the odometer, but that may not make a difference? i bought the bike in Asheville, NC.

From what I learned... the dealer has to pay a "floor fee" for some of the bikes he has on display. The longer the bike sits, then the more he has sunk into it. Technically he does not own these bikes. 2009 models will usually have a greater likelihood of being able to negotiate on price because he needs to get it out rather then keep spending his own money on it. Also, the manufacturer provides incentives so the dealer may be keen on getting rid of one model to have more floor space for a different model.

07black&red

Two Stroke
I went used. Thousands cheaper and guys tend to baby these bikes so you'll probably get one in good shape. Plus, a used one is bound to have after-market stuff on it like windshields, seats, bags, exhaust etc.

Bonafide

NBR founder
IMO - those 2 things you mentioned are not worth the gap in price. The bikes are solid and rarely have warranty issues. The carbs are VERY easy to live with. I'd buy used. If you dont like the color or something small like that ... no worries, one of the after the sale attractions to these bikes are the endless number of aftermarket parts.

welcome to the insanity.

phil

Street Tracker
I bought my brand new, my bonnie has 2900km it now and zero problems, its good on gas and its was exactly what I was looking for. These guys are super good for advice and general chat. cheers. good luck in your purchase.

whyme

TT Racer
I got a used 07 with 2100 miles last fall $5500..like new and it was loaded with extras. The extras I did not want I sold and made back about $400. I still got TORS, headlight grill, AI removal etc. that i wanted to keep and would have bought. Great deal I got on ebay. I'd buy used. Lots of good deals out there. Good luck!!

Deano

Two Stroke
+1 on what all the guy's are saying. I got a new 08, last of the carb's (and love it) but since have upgraded the suspension, done some mods etc like everyone else, and ended up spending quite a bit really. Get one that someone else has done all this to. If you do go new, as someone mentioned, the dealers do offer incentives for the older models and mine came with TORS, bash plate, headlight grill, number boards (not that they are much use)
Nothing has gone wrong with mine at all. You can change the colour of an older one easy if that is what is attracting you to an 2010.
Then just go out and ride the f..k out of it.