Broken Collar Bone Advice?

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
So,

Doing a bit of off-roading on the DT1E on sunday, and I was on. Leading, I was ducking, 'jumping', swerving...I was on fire! I was so good, Ewoks couldn't keep up.

Then back to the trailer for a break, then we'll set up a loop and see who can faster. Well, let's just say I wiped out, the fastest, and the hardest. (I think the ewoks set-up a trap)

Bike is fine.

My left shoulder, and more specifically, collar bone is fractured.

Dr's can't do anything (take some advil) so, I am sure some here has broken their CB. What did you do for it? Right now, trying to stand-up is killing me....so any advice?

strokerlmt

Broke mine playing hockey. Bac in the ancient times we just taped it trying to keep it from moving and drank a lot of beer + a couple of percs from the science dude that was our team manager :hurt:
its like a toe....takes time
LMT

KingBear

Hooligan
Cracked but not broken, plus a dislocated shoulder. They reduced the dislocation, put me in a sling and sent me home. Nothing else they can do. That was almost 30 years ago. Shoulder still aches, I can tell when the weather is going to change, and I haven't really been able to throw a baseball or football since.

RonL

Scooter
Busted mine when a Buick pulled out in front of me as I was cycling. Thankfully, I creamed that car good - dented and scratched the quarter and the back of my heel dented the decklid. Oh yeah, he got a ticket for Failure to Yield.

Hurt like crazy for several days, then it was just a constant throb for another week or so. It eventually healed. Funny thing was I was having a different shoulder issue and the other doc asked me if I'd ever busted my collarbone because it hadn't healed quite right. They take time though and don't try to push your luck and work it too fast.

kdlutes

Scooter
Broke mine when my T100 handle grip fell on it in a turn. I was careful not to move the arm much for a week or so, then saw myself in the mirror and was shocked how I looked. I had been pulling my arm in and shoulder up in an effort to protect it and stop the pain. I was a afraid I would heal like Bob Dole so just started moving the around a bit, loosening it up, and then shortly pretty much like normal. Odd thing was it felt better after I started moving it.

Still have a nasty looking bump on the bone though.

I had considered the surgery where they screw on a metal plate but got pissed when no one could tell me how much it was gonna cost. And one doc said the metal plate was meant to stay on and another said he'd remove it after the bone healed. I figured the bumpy and crooked bone was better than an unknown medical expense and the scars from surgery.

Motley

750cc
I've broken both, one in a motorcycle get-off, the other doing jiu jitsu. There's not much they/you can do. A "figure 8" wrap, that pulls your shoulders back, is about the best you can expect.

loxpump

Rocker
Broke mine when my T100 handle grip fell on it in a turn. I was careful not to move the arm much for a week or so, then saw myself in the mirror and was shocked how I looked. I had been pulling my arm in and shoulder up in an effort to protect it and stop the pain. I was a afraid I would heal like Bob Dole so just started moving the around a bit, loosening it up, and then shortly pretty much like normal. Odd thing was it felt better after I started moving it.

Still have a nasty looking bump on the bone though.

I had considered the surgery where they screw on a metal plate but got pissed when no one could tell me how much it was gonna cost. And one doc said the metal plate was meant to stay on and another said he'd remove it after the bone healed. I figured the bumpy and crooked bone was better than an unknown medical expense and the scars from surgery.

I got the bump too but it I had a shoulder separation. I had the surgery option too, but was told the outcome was the same and the recovery was longer after surgery.

AceT100

Rocker
Cracked but not broken, plus a dislocated shoulder. They reduced the dislocation, put me in a sling and sent me home. Nothing else they can do. That was almost 30 years ago. Shoulder still aches, I can tell when the weather is going to change, and I haven't really been able to throw a baseball or football since.

I did the same...used my shoulder as a brake as I flew gracefully over the top of a van that pulled out in front of me...

Shoulder hurts constantly, and the collar bone was just 'left to heal' with my arm in a sling

marthruxton

Two Stroke
Congraluations. Any motocyclist with self respect has broken his collar bone at least once.
There is nothing to do about it. They should have given you a strap that pins your shoulders back to make sure the bone heals reasonable right and not bent foward. Wear it. You want it to heal back in the "normal" position as much as possible.

loxpump

Rocker
Congraluations. Any motocyclist with self respect has broken his collar bone at least once.
There is nothing to do about it. They should have given you a strap that pins your shoulders back to make sure the bone heals reasonable right and not bent foward. Wear it. You want it to heal back in the "normal" position as much as possible.

I guess I don't have that self respect yet, I did mind falling off a horse.

cafecruzin

Two Stroke
not had a broken collar bone but i did this to my shoulder blade couple of years ago in a slow low side.
same end result arm in a sling and pain killers.it still gives me shit
11b4d5ba.jpg

Roper

moped
I busted my left collar bone dirt riding too, albeit 30 years ago. Doc put me in a figure 8 brace and gave me some meds. Funny thing is my left side healed up straighter than my right side is. It took a while to heal as it was a compression break, the x-ray looked nasty. I have to say it was better that the 4 ribs I broke 15 years ago when a dog ran out into the street and tagged the front wheel of my Beemer. Luckily I've been break free for a while now...

Lots of shoulder injuries here. Seperated mine in 2005 while dirt jumping (bicycle). Had been going for a while and on the last run as I pedaled up a jump, chain broke and that messed everything up. Ended up making the jump (15ft) but all my weight ended up over the front end and the next thing I know I'm on the ground. Thought I was good till I stood up. Geez!!!!! Could barely move my arm. And painful!!!!

So, I still have issues. Can't do much weight on a bench press. Or upright rows. And have a great crunchy sound when I move my shoulder back and forth. Doc said not much he could do. Could do surgery, but think he said my arm would immobilized for several months. Kept my arm in a sling for a couple of weeks and was back riding shortly after. :)

Broke mine playing hockey. Bac in the ancient times we just taped it trying to keep it from moving and drank a lot of beer + a couple of percs from the science dude that was our team manager :hurt:
its like a toe....takes time
LMT

I think LMT has given the best advice and the only thing I could add would be that if it really hurts, replace beer with whisky ;)

Did my left one when I wrecked my Bonnie 18 months or so ago and have a lump too.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Shamus

Scooter
Did both of mine and both required surgery. Left due to scar tissue impinging the nerves which made my left hand go numb. Bit of a problem for a left handed cop who couldnt feel if he was actually holding his gun without seeing it. The other one was so severe they had to pin it back together. I wore the brace for both. The guys I worked with said it looked like a bra from the back. They called it the "Bro" from Seinfeld or a "Manssiere".

Rick

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Well for one, hope you are a switch hitter, won't be rubbin one out with that arm. Two, just take it easy for a while and don't jack it up further. Few beers won't hurt!

Subw00er

Scooter
I'll chime in. I broke mine a five years ago in two places (either side of the center tendon) going offroad as well. I can still remember falling off, and hearing a crack, hoping to God it was part of the bike.. sounded just like a plastic fairing snapping. :) I wiggled my toes, then my ankles, then lifted me legs one at a time.. spine seemed ok, I could feel everything.. Phew! When I tried to get up and felt my bone protruding, I then realized it wasnt the bike that broke. Bad day, but it can always be worse!

You will find that it hurts like hell, especially if you have multiple bones grinding into soft tissue like I did. The best advice I got was to lay on my back with my back on a pillow that allowed my arm to fall backwards - kind of like when you stretch and arch your breastplate forward, but in a relaxed state obviously. So, the pillow doesnt touch your arm or shoulder really. You will find it feels weird initially, but apparently its the best position for healing as it puts the bone in alignment and, at least in my case, the least amount of pain. I slept like this dosed up on pain meds for about a month (based on other replies here, I'm either a wimp or mine was worse) and also kept ice on it almost constantly. Ice was awesome.

It took about a year before I didnt think about my collarbone and how it felt weird each day. It only hurts me now if I am lying on the floor supporting my head with that arm - getting back up its stiff. I was kind of hoping to tell the weather by it (like the guy above) because then at least something good would have come out of it, but I cant. :( Oh well.

Oh, I forgot one thing. One day you will notice that the joint feels "sticky" - like you will feel it going together and then sort of come unstuck when you move. There was this moment in time for me when it went from sticky to actually solidly joined, and it was a 1-2 day period (The human body is amazing, isnt it?! How does it know to get sticky?! ). Anyway, I wish I had paid more attention then because (and I dont know if it ultimately would have made a difference) my bone healed in a V shape and one bone overlaps the other (take a "V" shape and move one leg on the point side in a bit to picture it). Strangely enough it doesnt seem to bother me throwing things or anything else, but its annoying to know its a V and not straighter. :)

To Summarize:
-drugs
-ice
-pillow
-repeat and wait

Good luck, glad you're ok and ride safe. Getting cocky on a motorcycle is usually a bad idea.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Day 5...so far so good. Except for:

...the dreaded wednesday bump. So I goto work as per usual and everything is fine. Then, right around 13:00 (I finish at 14:00) I backstep a couple of paces, and tap...-I mean 3 yr old girls swatting mosquitos hit harder than this- my left elbow on my machine which sends me to the ground like the same 3 yr old girl...The rest of the afternoon, and right up to 23:00, I would wince at every move I made.

This am, not to bad, and a huge improvement right now. So, hopefully I can get back on a bike in 2 more weeks without worry.

cynr1023

TT Racer
Glad you're getting better. You've got to be hyper aware of your surroundings at all times, your arm is most likely not in it's usual position so you'll find that you may bump into things. Baby it, be overly careful so you don't bump it again. :)