Broke my golden rule

strokerlmt

So I broke my own golden rule. CATSSF..."Check all the simple shit first". 5 weeks ago my bike became very hard to start. Eventually she would start only to back fire horribly out the carbs. $20.00 for a Mikuni HSR42 carb manual. Watched a couple of hors of "how to's" on youtube and sites. Drained all the gas from the tank. New gas. Drained the float bowls. Checked all hose clamps and carb bolts to make sure all were tight so no air leaks. Carbs were clean as can be. Pulled the plugs jet black, ah ha its lean no its rich. New plugs gapped. Cleaned the filters. Bought a complete jet kit for $116.00 + shipping. Today I took the tank off, put on the work bench, attached 5 feet of hose so I could run the engine. Just as I was about to do surgery I was checking all carb bits for tightness etc and the fucking black rubber cap on the vacuum fitting disintegrated in my fingers. It looked good but it was split all the way up the back side engine side allowing full blast of air to fuck up the carbs. A dollars worth of new caps.....put her back together started in 3 rolls and purrs like a wide cat.:up:
LMT
CATSSF

Motley

750cc
That'll learn ya!

Tough luck, but at least you got it sorted...and you stand as an example for the rest of us. :up:

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Thanks for that Lach. My thruxton has been having issues starting once the temps dropped and I'm headed out the the garage right after I post to verify the simple shit is as it should be...I had accepted it was just Michigan's winter throwing things off and you've inspired me to see if there is another cause for that issue.

Regards,

--Rich

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I had my clutch side cap rotting out and noticed it about a month ago. I'm glad I saw it first because I probably would have done what you did! Reminds me of that scene in the movie Sling blade when they were working on the mower and he asked if they checked to see if it had gas :D

drlapo

Hooligan
I've connected the vacuum ports with hoses but I still keep extra caps in the tool kit
the auto store caps seem to last only 2 years