British Superbikes

Roger

Street Tracker
Ya! Would love to watch BSB here in Canada but I really don't know if any of the subscription channels I can get, televise the races. It's a whole different type of race that makes MotoGP look.... umm, how to put this.... YAWN!
The few highlights of BSB and WSB I do get to see on YouTube look more like what racing should be. Like I said, we have no coverage here and you hear nothing really on sports channels. I do not know any of the riders listed on the BSB web site and know nothing of the bike builders or teams. It would be a whole lot easier to get excited if I could actually watch coverage of these races. Doubt that will ever happen, It would fall into prime time or a bit later. Instead we get nascar or tractor pulls. I fuckin hate anything oval track.

The first round starts up at Brands Hatch on April 18. I will have to see if there is any way to be able to watch these races on TV. Then you also have stories like this: http://au.eurosport.com/superbikes/...ritish-superbike-rider_sto4138631/story.shtml
A freaking 17 year old, living the dream. Too cool. Would be interesting to watch some kid tearing it up on these race courses.
Oh well. I will try to find out if there is a sub channel so I can watch these on TV here at home. Don't really like the idea of paying a subscription for the privilege of watching races online.

BSB: http://www.britishsuperbike.com/

BTW, tractor pulls were created for those that don't understand the rules of wrestling.

The_Idiot_60_12.jpg

Last edited:
I hear you my friend. I often lament American culture, but now it seems that extends to North America as a whole. Here all anyone talks about is football and baseball, child sports. As Ernest Hemingway wrote, "There are only three sports: bull fighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." I'm not sure I'll ever live anywhere that feels like "home".

Roger

Street Tracker
Ah yes. Culture. You are right in saying north american culture. We are directly influenced by what we are shown here on our TVs with 25% canadian content, or some bullshit number thrown in, so that we here in Canada can hang on to our identity. PFFT! Nope, North America must be considered as a whole now. I have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is the media outlets only air those programs that will make the highest profit. Everything else gets the axe. I used to watch documentaries but those have now evolved into docudramas. Reality TV.... who really, gives a rat's ass? Mythbusters? OMFG, kill me now!

And as you pointed out, sports. I understand the excitement over football, baseball, hockey and basketball. I have been to hockey games, football games along with the overpriced tickets and shitty, expensive beer. I don't watch any of them any more. I used to know a electronics shop owner from India. His name was Anu. Interesting character and he talked me into coming to his shop to watch cricket matches on satellite TV. Anu and his friends made it interesting and fun. There were a couple brits there too. I think now that I did spend a lot of time there. He has closed shop now.

Now I am wondering, do we here have a bit of a british streak in us? I believe I do and that is one of the reasons I have a Triumph. Pretty sure of that. Or is it a desire to have something more than what is being spoon-fed to us here in north america?

I don't dislike my country or anything, I just lament the intellect level of mass-media. I'm sure this isn't anything unique or new. I suspect that in 1895 London there were people complaining of how predictable A Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories were, and how they paled next to Dickens.

In any case, I think you're spot on about the money thing. The bottom line is the bottom line these days. Companies, people, government, etc. don't do anything unless it's going to make them money. But they're not even satisfied with making money. They have to be making a SHITE ton of money.

You mention documentaries. I remember watching Discovery channel when I was 10 and hearing David Attenborough teach me all kinds of amazing things about our planet. Now look at Discovery Channel. It's all garbage, with a Planet Earth "viewing event" every five years. What happened to people being okay with not making the most money, ever?

The world would be a better place if people could just make 10% while producing something meaningful and be satisfied.

loxpump

Rocker
It's all about making money, like it or not. They can show things that I would rather watch but they usually don't. Cable and satellite tv has helped, but it's still hard to see something that is interesting to me. A channel could have programming that 1% of the population may want to see but they won't stay in business long.

DandyDoug

750cc
I have been able to catch re-runs of the 2013 season BSB on Velocity channel.

The series is pretty good but the racing is dominated by the same 2 or 3 riders at every event.

The commentators are better than what we get here in the states.

There is even an American rider in the the top 10.
His name escapes me at the moment.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I live in Australia. Here free to air tv is a lot like the US, except we have our ABC (kinda like the BBC only spelt differently - it shows lots of BBC stuff) and the other govt station SBS which can be very good. Lots of euro stuff. But commercial tv here is unwatchable. Ads, ads, ads - even the program breaks have ads plastered all over them.

So I have cable - foxtel. And I watch about 3 of the channels on that. We have ESPN but that's hard to watch with all the ads. My favourite channel is BBC Knowledge. That has some great docos. My wife loves the UFC, so on the weekends we have "beer and UFC" nights. I find it a bit boring but my wife makes it enjoyable with her reactions to the fights. And did I mention the beer?

All I watch is the cricket - when it's on - the footie - when it's on - and docos. Oh, and Cafe Racer and "The motorcycle show" from the UK. The way the Aussie media are trying to present Aussie rules footy is starting to shit me though. They must watch a lot of US football, because the commentators have started saying things like "no whistle on the play"... We don't have "plays" in Aussie football. And they have started inventing some of the most obscure statistics known to man. "The most left-foot kicks leading to a goal but not actually scoring the goal", "The most handballs to a redheaded pisces", and "the most steps without actually touching the football..."