break in mileage

JTIrwin27

Scooter
Is the break in mileage really nec? Short shifting my street triple r is killing me. Riding around town i dont intend on Stretching the gears out but 5000 rpm is hardly moving.

innominate

Street Tracker
I think there are a couple threads that cover break in. but I could be thinking of another forum. I broke in my first brand new bike last yr. It was a speed 3. It didn't have the tank sticker on it that showed the rpm rec. And the manual does not specify specific rpm limits. I varied engine load with power and engine braking. Kept the rpm to 60-70% of redline for the first 1k miles. Doin this mostly on open country roads do I wouldn't have to worry about other vehicles. I changed my oil before the 100mi mark, at ~500mi and again at ~1200mi iirc. Ymmv

Other thoughts on the subject seem to go along the lines of; follow what the company says to do since they made the bike; ride it like you normally ride; or ride it like you stole it.

DIRK

750cc
you seem to be concerned about your oil. the break in rpm is ok with synth oil you can stretch the intervals out. change it every 6k and save a stack of money. But oil ideas are like religion and no one can change someone's mind on it.
factory sticker says ^300mi 5,000 rpm ^ 600 6,000 ^800 7,000 ^1000 8,000. page 51 tells you a little bit on that but no rpm suggestions. Shame on the sales guy you bought it from for not going thru that with you. now go scare some cars!

innominate

Street Tracker
I wasn't concerned about it. Shop guys did go over break in with me. They said do what the book says. Some ppl recommended the more freq initial oil changes bc of what may be floating around in the oil of a new engine being broken in. it was easy and cheap to do so I figured what the hell.

AceT100

Rocker
Changed mine at 100 miles...then 600...then 1200....

Varied rpm & speeds, after the 1st oil change I upped the rpm's through the gears...Just took it easy, didn't do anything too stupid.

After the 600 mile one, it really loosened up & went MUCH better.....

So, its only 100 miles, just take it easy & enjoy your bike for years to come.