Brakes!!!

If you take tour bike for scheduled servicing, they should tell you they are getting close. If you are going to do your own checking, while you have plenty of material left get to recognize the difference between pad material and pad backing plate. Then a quick look when you are oiling the chain or washing the bike will tell if it's time.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Perfect - That's what i was assuming. I got some crazy squeaking the other day. Then it stopped. I blamed dust because I checked and i have lots of pad.

But I was just making sure... there wasn't some crazy motorcycle brake rule.

Im a bike maintenance hypochondriac.

coopv2

Street Tracker
When do YOU change the pads?

depends on your age and sex... after 70 years old, daily
or monthly if your a chick.
but for you RR99, get a torch and look in from the open end of the caliper to see the pads, and you should be able to see the pad material and its thickness compared to the steel plate its bonded to.
steel is about 3mm thick + pad at 3-4mm thick new.
some pads may end up with uneven wear towards the end of their life, which may result in one end of one pad worn to steel first, so try to view both ends. both sides, to be sure.
A scored disc due to steel damage will continue to chew up pads at a faster rate.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
depends on your age and sex... after 70 years old, daily
or monthly if your a chick.
but for you RR99, get a torch and look in from the open end of the caliper to see the pads, and you should be able to see the pad material and its thickness compared to the steel plate its bonded to.
steel is about 3mm thick + pad at 3-4mm thick new.
some pads may end up with uneven wear towards the end of their life, which may result in one end of one pad worn to steel first, so try to view both ends. both sides, to be sure.
A scored disc due to steel damage will continue to chew up pads at a faster rate.

Thats the answer is I was looking for. Ill do that right now.

Craigore

TT Racer
Funny story-I bought my bike with only 400 miles on it from a neighbor... the rear pads were worn down almost to the bare metal a few hundred after that.

Poor guy must have been riding the brake CONSTANTLY. He sold it cheap- bought the bike to remedy a mid-life crisis and shortly thereafter realized that he was too scared to ride it.haha