Bonnie sucks today...

trumppa

Scooter
...cause it doesn't start. No sparkle. Any thoughts what's wrong? Ignition coil,pickup coil or The Black Box?:eeek:
Bike worked just fine last time I rode her.

Flaco

750cc
No sparkle. Any thoughts what's wrong? Ignition coil,pickup coil or The Black Box?
Yup!
Betcha it's your battery. (Black Box.)
Remove it and check it under load.
Bonnies will turn over but will not get enough voltage to the coil if the battery is bad... No spark...

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Tighten the lugs at the battery terminals - esp the positive one - they get a little loose sometimes.

And of course check the "Hedge Switch" (aka kill switch).

Did you wash it recently? I had an issue once after washing. The bike wouldn't start. Pulled the boots and found moisture on the plugs. Dry em' off and the bike started right up and ran without a hitch.

Just a thought.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
a. kill switch
b. loose terminals
c. kill switch
d. gas petcock
e. kill switch
f. bad battery
g. kill switch

bonnephil

moped
check n/switch plug under bike it somtimes comes away & will not start with the clutch lever out

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
You guys are assuming it's just sitting there dead? Does it turn over - but no spark? Or does it act like it's a dead battery? If it turns over with no spark ... yeah, the black box under the seat has probably crapped out.

drlapo

Hooligan
if the "black box" is out try a PROCOM box you can get one on eBay for $50
it advances the timing +3 degrees for a bit more "poop"

trumppa

Scooter
Thanks for the tips! Engine turns over like it should. Killswitch,side stand switch,battery terminals & fuses checked. It made some "misfires" when starting. Couple of loud bangs from the exhaust,like there was something wrong with timing. I'll try again today with freshly loaded battery.
ps.ordered Nology coil from UK yesterday.

Flaco

750cc
It made some "misfires" when starting. Couple of loud bangs from the exhaust,like there was something wrong with timing.
That description nailed it...
thumpa, thumpa, thumpa, bump!
Not enough juice...
It's your battery...

trumppa

Scooter
Tried with fully charged battery,no sparkle. Same thing with jumper cables from car battery. I'll try with new coil next week.Next step is new igniter.
BTW,coul'nt find a Procom for Bonneville from E-Bay. Any tips? Maybe get one from Newbonneville.com?
Have to say that the quality of electrics doesn't seem to be very good. My bike has run only 19000 km.
Today I really miss my old Panhead-chopper,no freakings black box problems in that bike. Had it for 15 years.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Tried with fully charged battery,no sparkle.

"No sparkle" makes it sound dead. Do you mean, dead, or the starter turned over but the bike didn't come to life??

How about: Got any gas? Reserve petcock in wrong position?

ivar

TT Racer
if you have a multimeter, you can check the ohms of the coil to get an indication if its gone. I'll see if the readings is listed in my haynes manual

trumppa

Scooter
Engine turns over when I push the button.Not a fuel issue,checked carbs&jets.
By "no sparkle" I mean there's no spark at the spark plugs.

Flaco

750cc
Tried with fully charged battery,no sparkle. Same thing with jumper cables from car battery. I'll try with new coil next week.Next step is new igniter.
BTW,coul'nt find a Procom for Bonneville from E-Bay. Any tips? Maybe get one from Newbonneville.com?
Have to say that the quality of electrics doesn't seem to be very good. My bike has run only 19000 km.
Today I really miss my old Panhead-chopper,no freakings black box problems in that bike. Had it for 15 years.
Did you charge the battery yourself?
Take it in and have it load tested on a bench before you go spending more money!
It's a classic problem that happens to many of us!
Don't know about jump starting w/ a bad battery in the bike, if it would effect the outcome of the bike starting or not...

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Trumppa,
I take exception to all the harping about the battery. Perhaps you agree. If your battery will crank the starter hard, it isn't your battery.
Below are potential causes and sadly altogether too common.
Aside from checking connections, recheck your pick up coil gap as outlined below. The Triumph manual is quite incomplete about root causing different electrical components and why many end up replacing this stuff scattergun which can get expensive.
Good Luck.

Attachments

• triumph Electrical 1.jpg
    triumph Electrical 1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 0
  • triumph Electrical 2.jpg
    triumph Electrical 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0

slowgator

750cc
Avoid Moisture on Electronics

I think Chris is on the right track. About a year ago, I had a similar problem after getting soaked in a thunderstorm on my 07 T100 during which she died. Although I got her fired up after coasting under a bridge, I had intermittent problems with cutting out until one day she just quit and I had her towed to the dealer. After a month in the shop, here was the resolution:

Resolution:
TESTED COILS-HAD LOWER THAN NORMAL RESISTANCE
REPLACED PICK UP COIL AND ECU
CHANGED OIL AND FILTER
REPLACED IGNTION SENSOR
REPLACED EVAP CONTROL IGNITER

NO CHARGE-COVERED BY WARRANTY

Keeping my fingers crossed, but no problems since. However, I haven't ridden through a bad storm since either, which precipitated this problem. I also am VERY careful when washing her to avoid getting the electronics wet.

Seems that this could be Bonnie's Achilles' Heel? Triumph, if you are listening, how about some R&D on this problem?

trumppa

Scooter
Thanks guys! Chris you're right, I bet it's not the battery. I used to work as an electrician over ten years so I know something about electric issues.For example, I know that all electric things are powered by smoke. If smoke comes out gizmos don't work. And if that smoke is white you can fix it but if it's black, there's nothing you can do...:huh: Okay,sorry for my bad english and humour.
I'll let you know what was wrong with the bike a.s.a.p.