Bonnie or Scrambler

puttman

moped
Hi There!

Another "what would you do" question if thats ok.

I recently sold my drz400S as I find I need a better street/highway bike to cover the 50+ mile round trip to-and-from the gravel forest service roads in my area. Also just riding street more often and need to do 70 to keep from being flattened by the trucks and suvs.

I know there are better bikes for this application but I've been seriously thinking Scrambler, even did a test ride on a used '06 which I really enjoyed except for leg interference with the exhaust pipe. I know that can be fixed.

I would eventually fit a windscreen and rear rack to hold day-trip stuff, groceries etc.

I notice the T-100 has the same wire wheel size, no issues w/ exhaust plumbing, (except clearance) and looks to have better after market options.

So my question is; would I be better off w/ a T-100 with dual sport tires, maybe taller shocks, versus the higher clearance of the Scrambler?

I know neither is a hard core off-road bike, but my off-road is limited to fairly well graded and graveled dirt roads; I usually putt around about 10-20 mph.

Sorry for the long post, insights/experiences off-roading a T-100 Bonnie would be helpful.

Tom

paulSF

Scooter
Scrambler. Hands down. Bonnie is too much of a street bike (ground clearance, 360 engine, shock height, exhaust, etc) for lumping around forest service roads compared to the Scrambler's torquey 270 engine, high pipes, ground clearance, etc ....

motomaniac

Street Tracker
I just bought a new Scrambler to replace my DRZ. I find it has plenty of speed for the expressway (which I use everyday - 80km round trip) and is perfect for fire roads/dirt roads. It is heavy compared to the DRZ and could never do the hardcore stuff but fine for anything else. The side pipes are hot at slow speed and you will need some simple leather-type protector to protect rain gear from melting. I am working on something now that I can slap on and off with velcro to protect my draggin jeans and rain gear. Other than that, it's a great bike! I get stopped all the time by people commenting on the bike which never happened on the DRZ!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I would imagine the Scrambler would be the best bet, but I have a T100 with Scrambler shocks that regularly sees use on fire service roads and its fine. The big drawback is weight, which will be the same for either bike. I have some experience with dirt bikes, and its a world of difference. Its like driving your moms Buick off road - yes it will do it, but whats the point? This is not to diss the Scram, I love that bike. I have not found my T100 pipes to have ground clearance problems, but I have never taken it on single track type trails, just forest roads.

Last edited:

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I had a 2002 Bonnie and I was taking it down more and more forest roads in the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was OK but not great. I recently traded for a 2010 Scrambler and I love it. The low end torque of the 270 degree motor makes slow speed manuevarability and standing on the pegs while riding slow a whole lot easier than the Bonnie. I did upgrade to the Arrow 2into1 exhaust and I have noticed that the clearance for my right leg is much better. I have worn rain gear with absolutely no problem of melting. The stock shocks have been good for me. I tried a wind screen but I noticed that it directs all the wind blast at my head and it is much less desirable than I thought. I will be removing it soon and return it.

From what you have described for intended use I would go with the Scrambler.

Attachments

• 0614001510c.jpg
    0614001510c.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
As a guy who grew up on 2 stroke 125 cc dirt bikes, the idea that a 900 cc engine lacks torque in the dirt seems ....inexplicable. Lack of torque? More like way to much torque and not enough traction. The Boneville will spin 3rd I'm sure in the dirt, maybe fourth. But I wouldn't want to try it.

The only thing I can imagine that you mean is that when you are lugging that last gasp over a rock or something and the 270 is smoother and keeps pulling at like 700 rpms. To which I would say thats what clutches are for. But I don't know. The problem I had off road, not really a problem, was weight and tires.

I imagine the Scram being optimal for slower road speeds, like accellerating out of turns at 50 mph.. and why shouldn't it be? You really don't want to ride Trailwings at 90 mph on the freeway, so top end isn't an issue, so Triumph gives you a tremendous midrange which, is also awesome.

Last edited:

RoyNC

Street Tracker
As a guy who grew up on 2 stroke 125 cc dirt bikes, the idea that a 900 cc engine lacks torque in the dirt seems ....inexplicable. Lack of torque? More like way to much torque and not enough traction. The Boneville will spin 3rd I'm sure in the dirt, maybe fourth. But I wouldn't want to try it.

The only thing I can imagine that you mean is that when you are lugging that last gasp over a rock or something and the 270 is smoother and keeps pulling at like 700 rpms. To which I would say thats what clutches are for. But I don't know. The problem I had off road, not really a problem, was weight and tires.

I imagine the Scram being optimal for slower road speeds, like accellerating out of turns at 50 mph.. and why shouldn't it be? You really don't want to ride Trailwings at 90 mph on the freeway, so top end isn't an issue, so Triumph gives you a tremendous midrange which, is also awesome.

Hey SAL. I never said anything that the Bonnie T-100 lacks torque. So I don't know what you are specifically referring to in my previous comment? I said the Scrambler has plenty of low end torque. That is why the Scrambler has a 270 degree engine and the Bonnie has the 360. The bonnie is designed with a better mid to high range while the Scrambler is designed for a better low range. As an owner of both bikes I can honestly say that the Bonnie is not as ideal for fire lane and dirts roads as the Scrambler. I don't do any single track with the Scrambler. I think the original poster would be better off with the Scrambler due to the higher clearance, higher pipes, longer suspension, better tires and better low end maneuvarability. I sure don't want this to turn into a Bonnie vs. Scramber thread. They are both awesome.

puttman

moped
Thanks everyone for your opinions/observations. It sounds like either would work for my needs, though clear advantages w/ the Scrambler on gravel roads. My original comment re: better after-market for the Bonnie was mainly considering the windshield options I've stumbled across on the net. I do intend to do 2-300 mile days occasionally and will need to tame the wind blast.

Thanks again,

Tom

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
The low end torque of the 270 degree motor makes slow speed manuevarability and standing on the pegs while riding slow a whole lot easier than the Bonnie. - ROYNC

Roy, chill brother. It sounded like it. I am just trying to find out how it is because I have been wanting a Scrambler.

I have been riding all my life and its hard to read stuff people wrote and figure out exactly what it means in the dirt or on the road. I did think the low end torque of the Scram was for 30 - 70 mph and I am not saying thats a bad thing. I agree with you he should get a Scrambler.

As I wrote, I grew up on peaky 2 stroke 15 h.p. bikes so torque is all relative.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Hey SAL.. Sorry for the misunderstanding. My bad. You are right.... it is hard to determine folks state of mind when reading posts.

Take care,

Roy

Thanks everyone for your opinions/observations. It sounds like either would work for my needs, though clear advantages w/ the Scrambler on gravel roads. My original comment re: better after-market for the Bonnie was mainly considering the windshield options I've stumbled across on the net. I do intend to do 2-300 mile days occasionally and will need to tame the wind blast.

Thanks again,

Tom

Good input from all the guys and I'll throw in another option - if you have the $$$ and time, wait a little while and see what the 2 new Triumph Adventure bikes look like. There will be one more road orientated and one more dirt orientated, both using a new triple of as-yet unknown cc. Should be interesting once they are released. Just a thought......

Cheers,

Pikey.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
To me it all comes down to what kind of tires you will be using. Scram is good off road but I'm betting half of that is the tires. So I'd consider both if you're hunting used bikes. I'd consider the Scram if you're buying new.