Bonnie keeps stopping when riding but will always restart

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I have been having intermittent stopping problems with my 06 T100. At first I thought I may have picked up some dirty fuel because when riding, the bike would just stop. Once pulled over the bike has no problems starting. I drained that fuel and refuelled it and rode it without any problems (did about two tanks) and then parked the bike up for some work/mods. Went to ride the bike again and it started to do the same thing so I emptied the tank, washed it out with metho and refilled with fuel and rode it with out a problem (about over an hours ride). I then drained that tank of fuel (used it my other bike) and put some metho in the tank because the bike was going to sit for a while because of the work I am doing to it. Problem is after a couple of weeks I filled the tank again rode it to work through the week using what was in the tank until I hit reserve and filled it back up, went to go on big ride with the missus on the back and it was worse then it has ever been. Sometimes it would cut out and then fire back up again and then stutter and back fire and go good or then as before with out warning just stop but it will always start up no problem. I then went and bought some fuel cleaner additive and put that in, let it sit over night and went for a ride the next day. I rode for a couple of hours without a problem, topped the tank up and continued on for another couple of hours probably covered about 300 plus K's (No speedo fitted at the moment) and then got about 2 K's from home when I hit a bump (Don't know if this is related) and the bike stopped again and once again started back up no problem. Now I am starting to question if I do actually have a fuel problem (why does it go for so long without any problem) or if I may have an electrical problem of some kind. Has any one had a similar problem and how did you fix it??? My battery does not seem to be low on charge as it winds over fast enough to start the bike. I also have another Triumph (05 Thruxton) that I can change out some parts to test. Getting frustrated and I don't won't to start hating the bike because it is becoming unreliable.

Last edited:
Its the electrics under the seat. I put a tool roll under seat now to stop the weight pushing down on seat, & causing bike to cut out. Always much worse with a passenger BTW. Tho in my case problem only started when i changed my seat. But symptoms were identical.

qwenzel

Two Stroke
Make sure your fuel tank vent line isn't kinked or blocked off.
Does the bike restart right after you open the gas cap ? If it does then your vent tube is kinked and needs to be straighten out.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
How about the rubber caps on the carbs?

Kirkus Are you asking if they are damaged and possible causing a vacuum leak? The bike idles good so it doesn't seem to have a vacuum leak but I will check.

Qwenzel I don't think it has a vacuum lock at the breather in the tank as it will always restart no problem and that is without removing the cap and it doesn't suck in air when I remove the cap to refuel.

musicswapshoppe the thought has crossed my mind about the wires under the seat so when time permits I am going to have a look at them plus the rest of the harness and plugs, make sure nothing has rubbed through and earthing out.

Thanks all for the help

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Might be on the money with the electrics under the seat. This morning I had the bike running with the seat off and just touched the plug going to the ignition control unit and the bike stopped. Restarted it and tried wiggling the plug again a couple of times until the bike stopped again. Did this again but it wasn't like the plug is loose it just seems to stop sometimes (it does take a fair bit of wiggling and it is not always the same way to get a result). Tried wiggling each wire individually but it didn't seem to do anything so apart from replacing the actual unit I have tie wired the plug on to make it less prone to moving and packed some styrofoam under the plug to prevent it from being pushed down by the seat. Hopefully this will work. With fingers crossed I will throw the missus on the back this weekend and see if I can get more than 20k without any problems. Have been riding it to work the last couple of days without missing a beat. Cheers again

I really would recommend wrapping some tools such as a 14mm, 18mm, adjustable and 2 way screwdriver in a piece of rag under. Just gives that support against seat pushing down. Keep allen key handy for seat removal and you then have some tools when needed, and it does stop the cut out mate. I still cant work out why mine sometimes stopped then restarted fine. But was def the problem for me and it never happens now. Thank god! Worse for me was def with a pillion and would stop restart stop restart NIGHTMARE lol

Other times just stopped and only started when i used ignition! But always did start?

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I think it's the electrics, too. Every once in a while my Bonnie will fail to start by making a 'click' sound and then no engine lights or anything. The first couple of times, I was checking sidestand switch, neutral switch, starter solenoid, etc., and finally I removed and reinstalled the battery and viola. I've traced it to the positive terminal of the battery - even though that cable seems tightly attached, every once in a while it wants me to loosen and re-tighten it - probably getting a thin layer of oxidization built up that is breaking the circuit.

drlapo

Hooligan
I think it's the electrics, too. Every once in a while my Bonnie will fail to start by making a 'click' sound and then no engine lights or anything. The first couple of times, I was checking sidestand switch, neutral switch, starter solenoid, etc., and finally I removed and reinstalled the battery and viola. I've traced it to the positive terminal of the battery - even though that cable seems tightly attached, every once in a while it wants me to loosen and re-tighten it - probably getting a thin layer of oxidization built up that is breaking the circuit.

happened to me too

ssjones

750cc
I had very similar symptoms with my America. I replaced my kickstand spring and all is well. The spring was weak and let the switch momentarily cut the bike off over bumps, etc. Your "bump" comment makes me think you have the same problem. The spring is less than $10 if memory serves.

drlapo

Hooligan
its under the seat just behind the battery
unplug it, clean the teminals, apply some dielectric grease and reassemble

Twodogs

Street Tracker
If the problem continues and it is definitely the ignition control unit plug I will be thinking about relocating the unit to the panel just behind the battery. This will have the unit and plug sitting lower so the seat does not touch it. I am just wondering how many Bonnie owners have had or are having this problem.

I only know of one other with exactly the same problem. His like mine was due to change of seat and was rectified same way as mine. Your the first I know with problem on original seat.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Over 800 K's later, some with the missus on the back and the problem seems to be gone, so the wire and foam must be working..... Fingers crossed.