Bonnie engine project

Just a little story and pictorial of a project I have just completed.

I purchased and imported from the US a used engine from a 2007 Thruxton with 198 miles on the clock. As you can see the clutch and alternator covers had some road rash but there was no other damage. The top end of the engine was stripped down, crankcases and head repainted silver using VHT engine enamel, Wiseco 10.5 to 1 pistons, Thunderbike cams and a set of heavy duty clutch springs fitted and the engine reassembled using new clutch, alternator & sprocket covers. The inlet manifolds have been blended, smoothed and matched to the ports, carbs are stock except for Dynajet needles and springs with the main jet sizes yet to be determined.

The engine will be used in my 2008 Bonnie T100 along with a reprogrammed ignitor, gutted airbox with velocity stacks and Norman Hyde Classic silencers on stock headers. I'm expecting rear wheel horsepower to be in the vicinity of 70 to 75HP compared to the stock 50HP, in other words a 40 to 50% improvement.

100_0609s.jpg

100_0611s.jpg

100_0626s.jpg

100_0624s.jpg

100_0638s.jpg

100_0640s.jpg

100_3873s.jpg

100_3869s.jpg

100_0660s.jpg

100_0731s.jpg

100_0669s.jpg

100_0737s.jpg

100_0741s.jpg

100_0754s.jpg

100_0751s.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments everybody.

very cool

former experience? or are you just going at it with a lot of cahones, a manual, and a little beer?

Yep, former experience although I don't currently work in the trade. This is my first Hinkley twin though so the cahones, manual and beer still apply. :)

AWESOME !!. So what are you planning to do with your engine ?

I presume you mean the original engine in the bike? If so, it will be prepped, sealed and packed away for refitment later if I ever get over my HP addiction, get too old and crotchety for a hot rod bike or decide to sell the bike (unlikely).

nice work.

Thanks Sweat, but personally I will wait until after she's been fired up and has a few miles under her belt before I'll agree with you. :)

tezza

Street Tracker
hey aussie t100 what did you use to strip the black of the crankcases and head. its a sweet looking motor. very old look triumph. thanks Tezza

hey aussie t100 what did you use to strip the black of the crankcases and head.

Nothing - I didn't strip the powder coat off before painting. It was a near new low mileage engine so the powder coat was in good condition, I just cleaned it well and painted over with several coats, starting with a light application and getting progressively heavier with each application until good coverage was achieved. Ideally the paint should be baked but several heat cycles of the engine will have to suffice as I couldn't figure a way to fit the whole engine into the oven. :chin:

I have no idea how durable the finish will be but at least it should be easy to touch up if need be.

its a sweet looking motor. very old look triumph. thanks Tezza

Thanks, that's exactly the look I was after.

100_1020s.jpg

100_1023s.jpg

100_1024s.jpg

100_1025s.jpg

Started the job last Sunday afternoon and I've been putting about 2 or 3 hours into it each day after work, should be up and running by the weekend with any luck.

DIRK

750cc
i was waiting to see how you were going to fit the massive 2.5 hp engine into the bonnie frame?????

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Beautiful motorcycle and congrats on all the progress Aussie. Looking forward to your ride report.
Did you perform the brushing of the cam and engine side covers? If so, what technique did you use? Looks great!
Love the British Racing Green.

Beautiful motorcycle and congrats on all the progress Aussie. Looking forward to your ride report.
Did you perform the brushing of the cam and engine side covers? If so, what technique did you use? Looks great!
Love the British Racing Green.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to riding it even though I'll have to restrain myself until the engine has been run in properly. The engine covers are all brand new brushed covers as they came out of the box although I do have a full set of covers that I am hand polishing which will eventually replace the existing covers. The colour of the bike is Forest Green not British Racing Green but you're right it does look great, thanks for the compliment.

i was waiting to see how you were going to fit the massive 2.5 hp engine into the bonnie frame?????

I thought about it but I'd need a really long extension cord if I wanted to ride it any further than the front gate wouldn't I? :scooter:

sportyone

Street Tracker
REAL NICE MAN,

would it be rude to ask, how & where you came across the motor and what did it cost to buy and get it into Australia ? :shh:

great work mate !
:)

Last edited:
Well a bit of a marathon session today has finally got the bike back in one piece. I just need to adjust the chain/align the wheels, fit an oil filter, drop some oil into it & she's ready to fire but it's 11pm on Friday night and I've called it quits for the night - tomorrow will be the big day. Wish me luck.

100_1031s.jpg