Bonneville 2008 not starting

drmuonfunk

Scooter
Hello,
My bike won't start after just one month of sitting idle. The steps that I've taken so far are as follows:
1. Replaced the spark plugs
2. Replaced the battery (was over 5 years old)
3. Drained the floats.
4. Tried to push start but nothing

Anyone have any more suggestions before I have to take it to the shop? Gas seems to be getting to the carbs just won't turn over.

Thank you in advance.

Does it crank but wont't turn over? Have you checked for spark?

My 2007 Bonnie was like that when it sat for 2 months. I eventually got it to start up.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I haven't checked the spark but did switch the plugs. If I'm not getting spark with the new plugs what could it be?

Killswitch .. but dont throw parts at it. Sounds like you need to take it to a mechanic who can properly diagnose it.

drlapo

Hooligan
won't turnover = starter motor not operating?
clutch switch, side stand, switch neutral switch handlebar kill switch
lube and operate them all

normandy

Street Tracker
Be sure and check that the plug wires are pushed firmly in place, at the coil too.

Could be crappy gasohol sludge ?

Craigore

TT Racer
if you're not getting spark, make sure that the spark plug wires are firmly "screwed" into the caps. sometimes they come loose. and make sure that the wires are connected to the coil!

bonZa

Street Tracker
maybe its ran outa gas

back to first question, does it crank but not start? we have some good stuff here in an aerosol can called "start ya bastard".

LoVel

Two Stroke
Put the bike in neutral. Pull in the clutch and make sure the kill switch is in the run position. Turn on the gas and pull out the choke.

Press the starter.

A lot of people have advised against using explosive starter fluid and it really shouldn't be necessary.

Have you made sure the new battery is fully charged?

retrorider

Scooter
Remove and clean the pilot jets. After even three weeks, the crap that they call gas these days can plug up the pilot jets and prevent the bike from starting. Happened to me. I blame the federally-mandated 10 percent ethanol in the gas. It is very bad stuff, but it does subsidize Obama's friends in the corn lobby, so it's going for a good cause.

drmuonfunk

Scooter
So I'm not getting a spark. Looks like this is definitely electrical. I had the local shop check out all of the coils. They all check out. I'm leaning towards the CDI. Not really sure how to test that guy. I do know I'm not getting any spark. Anyone have suggestions here?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
So I'm not getting a spark. Looks like this is definitely electrical. I had the local shop check out all of the coils. They all check out. I'm leaning towards the CDI. Not really sure how to test that guy. I do know I'm not getting any spark. Anyone have suggestions here?

The easiest way is if you have a buddy that has a Bonnie. If that is the case then you will know once you take the five minutes to pull his off and put it on yours. By far the easiest option for you if you have that opportunity. If you don't have that perhaps ask nicely at a dealership to see if they can hook you up. This is a pretty $$$ part and you want to make sure that is the problem before dropping the bills for it.

drmuonfunk

Scooter
So after 3 weeks in the shop. It was the pick up coil or as some call it signal generator. Luckily it was not the CDI since that thing is pricey.