Black & Chrom Tank

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Next week I'll be painting my tank to look something like the image below. I've got a used black tank, new red Heritage badges, a Pingel petcock and some special chrome paint.

Can any of you "artistic types" offer some suggestions about my color scheme?

The first photo is my bike with copy/pasted tank and badge.
The second photo is of a Mototwin bike that was the inspiration.

Attachments

• Mototwin.jpg
    Mototwin.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Black & Chrome with Heritage.jpg
    Black & Chrome with Heritage.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

For me.......really like the chrome tank detail....keep tank black.
Chrome goes from fender....to engine....to pipes.....to rear fender ...to tank detail....to bars.
Nice circle......then you have the black circle........
What color os your light bucket....????
Might be cool to go...tank chrome detail...to blk tank...to blk powder coated bars....to chrome instr cups to ......blk powder coated bucket.....
Just a thought.....
Let us know how the chrome paint handles....I was curious and reading about it....sounds cool.
LMT

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Stroker has a good point about following the lines of black and chrome. Not sure how it could be done with the lines you have now - the black headers paired with black slipons doesn't really flow for what you are thinking of imo.

I think a properly chromed gas tank, with black down the centre, following the black and chrome of what you have now would look sweet! You might want to rethink the 'paint' and look into a proper chrome job. It probably wouldn't be cheap, but I think you would be alot happier with the result.

It really all depends on what look you are going for.

But I would think about it some more. Sit back from the bike, and figure out what lines your eye naturally follows. That might give you a better idea of what you want to chrome (paint, whichever) or not chrome.

Attachments

• Triumph-cafe.jpg
    Triumph-cafe.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • bsa1.jpg
    bsa1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
  • bsa2.jpg
    bsa2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • bsa3.jpg
    bsa3.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Thanks for the suggestions.

Take a look at this site for some amazing videos of their chrome paint... www.alsacorp.com
Actually, I'm going to use their FX MirrorChrome Sheeting which is removeable, so I've got more than one shot at this, since the sheeting is peel & stick. I'm not not using the paint.

Below are some other tank paint schemes that appeal to me. Maybe a chrome swoosh below the tank badge on the black tank would be better.

Attachments

• BSA Tempest.JPG
    BSA Tempest.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Blue_Dream_2.jpg
    Blue_Dream_2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1967 T120R Bonneville.jpg
    1967 T120R Bonneville.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

normandy

Street Tracker
Go to any sign making shop and they can sell you peel and stick chrome vinyl. Just understand it has to be a flat area as the foil will NOT do compound curves and you should clearcoat it as it will scratch easy.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
I think you should get the tank (with the same color scheme) as the mototwin bike. I love it!

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Black Tank with Chrome Knee Pads (w/Pics)

Finally got around to finishing this project. Below are some pictures. Now I've got two totally different "looks" for the bike by simply changing tanks.

I used Alsa Corp's FX Sheeting for the mirror chrome "knee pads." This is a peel & stick product that looks just like chrome when applied. I was skeptical but it really worked out well. And it only took about 10 minutes to cut and apply each knee pad.

The left side shot (second picture) shows the new Pingel petcock. I used the rear facing fuel line (not inward) which is Model 4211-CR. This makes it easier for me to remove the fuel line when removing the tank.

You'll also notice that I'm using some red hoses for the breather line and gas line. The red behind the side covers are the weatherproofing Outerwears pre-filters installed on the UNI pod air filters.

The fourth picture is the bike with the original tank.

Attachments

• B&C_5-.jpg
    B&C_5-.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
  • B&C_9-.jpg
    B&C_9-.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
  • B&C_11-.jpg
    B&C_11-.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic1-.jpg
    Pic1-.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

strokerlmt

Looks really good....my vote ...I really like the black tank with the chrome knee pads. Very different....haven't seen that before.
Great job
LMT