Bike stalled out on the freeway. HELP!

Bonniebret

Rocker
I made an unceremonious rite of passage today as I pushed my bike along the shoulder of the 205 this afternoon. To all the riders who blew by without stopping, "FUCK YOU". So much for the biker code of checking on a fellow rider.

Anyway here's what happened:

It was about 39F out.

A little slow starting up but it was cold.

Pipes were puffing white but nothing unusual considering the temp.

Took it out and filled the tank up.

Started right up.

Rode it about a mile in city traffic and started getting some lean popping.

That was followed by a loud BRRRAPPING from the pipes, a loss of power and stalling like it was out of gas.

Coasted to the shoulder.

Tried to turn over but wouldn't start.

Petcock: On

Fuel line: clear

Eventually started.

1/4 mile later same thing.

1/2 mile later same thing.

100 yards later same thing.

Managed to limp home.

Checked Following:
Petcock
Vacuum Caps
Breather
Plugs: Left, Ok: Right, Sooty

Drained the bowls (on centerstand): Left, Full; Right, not much.

Opened petcock and drained again. Bowls equal this time.

The bike fired up and I let it idle. Seemed fine.

Took it out and had no problems. Stopped and picked up some plugs and it started right up.

Decided to push my luck and take it on the freeway and open it up.

Made it about a quarter mile at about 60mph when it started popping on me. This was followed again by the BRAPPING and loss of power. Couldn't get it started again so I started pushing. Eventually I got it going enough to get another 1/4 mile down the road.

I drained the battery trying to start it. Blah, blah, blah got it home.

This bike has always ran like a tank so I'm baffled. Thoughts, gentlemen?

Sounds to me like the issue is electrical, not fuel. My money is on a loose ground or cracked coil.

Start with trouble shooting the ignition system completely before looking to water in the gas, look for water in the gas since it is so easy. Also look inside air filter foe excess fuel soaking the element, I have seen that a couple times.

Last edited:
Yeah, start with easy, take a fuel sample, check your air filter For gas, then tackle ignition and look for signs of loose ground. After all that, you might never know what it really was because you may inadvertently fix it with the checks.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
What year is your Bonnie? You are describing what I went through when my '06 CDI went out on me. You have a buddy that can hook you up with theirs to test? It is about a 10 minute test if you have someone to help out with another Bonnie.

What year is your Bonnie? You are describing what I went through when my '06 CDI went out on me. You have a buddy that can hook you up with theirs to test? It is about a 10 minute test if you have someone to help out with another Bonnie.

Bret, if not let me know, I have an extra I can mail off to you. I'm in Seattle so it shouldn't take but a couple days to get to you. I just need to make sure I get it back as it is my clubs test unit.

Cheers,

Bonniebret

Rocker
Thanks, guys. Since I recently thinned the harness I'm fearing l might have inadvertently messed it up. I have yet to pull the seat and tank but I will. Chris, thanks for the generous offer. I'll let you know if I'll need it.

strokerlmt

Bret.....I also have coils and bits I can mail you. I would drain all the fuel, pull the petcock check and clean, gas cap..... air is getting into tank????I had a monza cap where the little bleeder hole got squished and every time I opened her up she would die, after the wire diet check all connections again, pull the air filters and try running without them, let us know what happens.....
LMT

whyme

TT Racer
I had that happen to me twice where I was riding fine, and all of the sudden it died- I pulled over and then it was fine 2 minutes later. I really never figured it out. I thought the tank was not venting and it was locking up

Somebody else over on the other forum was also experiencing the same issue. Bike would idle for about 10 minutes then stop. One member recommended checking the fuel line from the tank to the carbs and make sure that it isn't pinched somewhere as this was what was causing their issue. It seems that with the pinched fuel line, the bike if ran would spend the fuel in the carbs quicker than what the fuel line could provide. Then of course after sitting for a few minutes and having fuel drip back down into the carbs, the bike would fire back up and as soon as they took off and started spending the fuel, eventually the bike would stall again.

I suppose something to consider if you haven't already.

Bonniebret

Rocker
Alright guys!!! I found the culprit. It was this little dude that was the bane of my existence; the tipover valve. Seems that when I put the vent hose back in and re-routed it it was, well, tipped over laying on it's side when it should've been vertical. This makes perfect sense considering the bike was acting like it was starving for gas. I pulled it altogether and so far so good!

8ias.jpg

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and generous offers.

Last edited:

bonZa

Street Tracker
Drained the bowls (on centerstand): Left, Full; Right, not much.

the clue was there, hence tip over valve starving fuel flow.
similar thing happened to me, but it was the vent tube to the carbies. (not to be confused with the vent tube to the tank)

glad you got it sorted

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
This must be the day for fixing shit due to lack of fuel. It has been snowing like crazy out here lately....four feet in two days. My snow blower won't fire up so I go into triangle thinking....fuel, air, fire. Started at the fire and changed plugs...nothing. Went to air and blowing in ether to the intake...start but won't stay running. Take apart the carbs and clean everything out. What ended up being the problem?...A poorly designed gas cap that forms a vapor lock if you cinch it down too tight! Crack the cap an 1/8th of a turn and it's golden. Snow blower works just fine:mad2:

Glad you sourced your problem though and got it fixed. Thanks for following it up to make this into a good thread to research.