Bike shuts off randomly

So, bike shuts off sometimes at idle. Happens both in neutral and in gear at a stop. Seems to happen more often during the day (heat). No problems when moving. Went to the store tonight and as I was downshifting to turn in, it shut off with the clutch engaged. A bit scary as the cagers were headed towards me.

Just had the air box removed and rejetted by the way. But still had the problem before.

Doing some searching around, I've come up with this list:

Side stand sensor
Battery
Rectifier
Fuses
Wiring (I have aftermarket turn signals)
Gas cap

Just want to see if there is anything else I should look for or if anyone has had the same issue.

Thanks all!

Bonafide

NBR founder
Doing some searching around, I've come up with this list:

Side stand sensor
Battery
Rectifier
Fuses
Wiring (I have aftermarket turn signals)
Gas cap

I'd be leaning more towards it being the side stand switch.

Battery and Rectifier fails, you would have progressively worse 'runs like shit' issues before it just stops. Then it would not restart. Or, the longer your ride, the less juice left in the battery .. then no restart.

Fuses, they dont fix themselves. If you were blowing fuses, thus causing your bike to shut off .. then you would have to replace said fuse before it would re-start. Then I would say, start looking for for the bad ground.

Wiring, again .. unless it happens every time you turn on a turn signal - nah. Those are not related to anything that would shut your bike off. Bad grounds - the signals themselves wont work or the bulb is blown.

Gas cap (not venting) .. it would have issues re-starting, not shutting off while riding down the road.

I assume you have a carb (non-efi) bike because you mentioned having it re-jetted? If so .. the side stand switch would be the first thing I would check.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Gonna try side stand switch first. Entertained the idea of removing to clean, but did not have a proper tool. I did the bypass. Will give it a go in the morning and hope that's the problem.

Thanks again!

Well, it's not the side stand switch. Still cutting off at idle. My bike is an 08 bonnie black by the way. A little over 8000 miles. I don't have a tach so I'm not sure where my idle may be. How can I check that?

Will check battery terminals next. On the clutch switch, how do I test/check? Will look for a thread on that.

I honestly can't remember if I had this problem before I changed out turn signals. Maybe it is wiring.

Thanks once again guys!

08BB

Scooter
I read on another forum other Bonneville riders experienced the same issue and traced it to an electrical connector under the seat. They experienced on occasion riding solo and more often when riding double. I wanna say it was the rectifier plug or similar so, they slightly relocated it and wrapped it with padding. Good luck

Bonafide

NBR founder
I read on another forum other Bonneville riders experienced the same issue and traced it to an electrical connector under the seat. They experienced on occasion riding solo and more often when riding double. I wanna say it was the rectifier plug or similar so, they slightly relocated it and wrapped it with padding. Good luck

"they" were just talking about it on this forum as well. :sheephqr:

O'Bryan ... I was gonna offer a spare ignition module if you wanted to give that try - even though I'm not a fan of throwing parts at a problem.

08BB

Scooter
Was it mentioned in this thread? If it was, I didn't see it...my bad. I'm new and just getting the feel for this forum stuff and was just trying to help the guy.