Bike pops

put on the new EMGO mufflers and they sound great,everything is tight with no leaks, but when letting off the throttle it pops, is this normal? the engine is all stock, nothing done to the carbs, stock filter, I did remove the snorkle however. am I going to need to re-jet? or is there an adjustment I need to do? I appreciate any thoughts or advice....Thanks in advance!!

loxpump

Rocker
You've opened up the air flow some with the exhaust and snorkel out. You're probably just running a bit lean.

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
is there an adjustment I need to do?

+1 one on now running a bit lean. You'll want to crank your mixture adjustment screws in a bit - takes a special tool from NB, of course - the much vaunted "D Tool". Try turning them in 1/4 turn each, see if that fixes the popping. Repeat until done.

Oh - the screws are on the bottom of the carbs. You do not need to remove the carbs or anything else (except maybe the carb heat wires) to do this.

MuckSavage

Scooter
<thread hijack>

De-baffled my SE's stock pipes, and it pops on decel. Anything I should worry about? I don't mind the sound at all.

dmay

Scooter
The lower the Idle speed,the less popping you'll get,plus the choke will actually work properly.

I'm deSnorkled,Emgo megs,120 mains,42 pilots.No popping on decelleration once engine is warm and I've cranked the idle down,mine's a Black so there's no tach,so I don't know the actual Idle speed.I am always reaching down and adjusting the idle speed as the engine temp changes,I think that's why they made it so accessable,kinda a way to relive the old days when a bit of savvy was required to properly enjoy a Britbike:brit_tit:

BTW,yanking the snorkle out of the air cleaner after I rejetted made a huge difference in the performance of my bike.Made it hard pulling and free revving,:up: