bicycle shorts

drlapo

Hooligan
does anyone here wear bicycle shorts while riding? the ones with pads in the butt and the nether regions? if so, do they help alleviate monkey butt?

Motley

750cc
Try the under armour, heat gear, compression, shorts. It's yer cotton tighty-whiteys that cause the monkey butt.

strokerlmt

I agree with Motley....dump the tightees
I use bike shorts, like em.
Are you using stock seat ???
LMT

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
I'm using the stock seats on my 800 Tiger and Thruxton. They're good for all day rides but I was curious about the padded bicycle shorts. no briefs for me, its boxers all the way

Motley

750cc
I'm using the stock seats on my 800 Tiger and Thruxton. They're good for all day rides but I was curious about the padded bicycle shorts. no briefs for me, its boxers all the way

It's not the cut (boxers or briefs), but the material. The cotton/polyester retains moisture and causes monkey butt. Even on the hottest days the UA heat gear shorts stay comfy, all day, even under leather. I use the UA cold gear shorts on those colder days.

wear compression shorts and put Gold Bond (yellow bottle if you're a rookie; green bottle if you like it so cold it burns; blue bottle (foot powder) if you're insane and want to cry) on your nuts, taint, and ass...you'll thank me.

prior to that, I was wearing bicyling shorts. It definately helps, but I didn't want to wear them out too much because good bicycle shorts are expensive. The Gold Bond method is cheaper and you can use cheap compression shorts.

strokerlmt

plus the stock foam sucks. you can purchase good memory foam and carve out the middle of stock seat foam and replace. its not hard to do. bike shorts and my good foam in my seat and I am good for 300-400 miles.
LMT

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I wear yoga pants under my kevlar gear...commando of course. Works for me for as long as I want to ride - which I now cap at about 750 miles in a day when making time whilst touring. I have a solo seat as well, which is important once the time in the saddle goes over about 300 miles. or so...

gcrider

Street Tracker
Bicycle shorts for me. Powder too. The key is to pull moisture away from the skin (shorts and powder) and eliminate seams that create pressure points (shorts).