Belt Drive

So after nearly selling my bike to finance some serious medical/situational expenses for the slackers in my family, things have turned around completely. Called everyone interested in buying the bike and said "Sorrrrry" and now I'm sitting pretty. The people who I was going to have to take care of really buckled down and got to business, so they're good.

Now the point of this is, I'm back to having some expendable income and I happened to slide over to Newbonneville.com

Hey, what's this? They have a belt drive kit?? I really do hate maintaining a chain...

Are there any thoughts on the kit strictly related to performance pros and cons? The price is high, but I don't want to hear about that.

Anyone have experience with this kit? I think it's pretty rad.

koifarm

Hooligan
Geeze Articsea, you could buy a lot of chains for that kind of money, even if you did the installation yourself you're looking at five or six chain/sprocket units.

strokerlmt

Geeze Articsea, you could buy a lot of chains for that kind of money, even if you did the installation yourself you're looking at five or six chain/sprocket units.

I agree with Koifarm.....the chain is easy and you could do some serious mods with that money.
LMT

Kirkus51

Hooligan
The belt on my Harley went south, but they all do eventually. My Brother now owns it and converted to chain drive. Easier to get the right gear ratio he wanted.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother. It doesn't look right on this bike, it's expensive, and then there's the possible recall problem linked above.

Chain maintenance doesn't amount to much, some lube, an occasional adjustment.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
That mod would most likely suit those America or Speedmaster riders a little more than the typical Bonnie owner. With the 270 degree crank and the sound it makes the belt drive option a natural choice for Harley wannabe's.
I've seen quite a few of those belts rip apart, at least with the chain you can guage wear and replace before problems occur.
I guess thats why many Motor Company owners also advise owning a pickup, they never know when their belts gonna explode!