Belt Drive Conversion Kit?

07black&red

Two Stroke
Hello from Kansas City! I'm considering the MondoDrive kit offered by Scootworks. Anyone tried one of these? Is there a better one? Should I just invest in a mondo can of lube, keep the chain and shut up?

I was wondering if you could do this as well. Personally belt drive seems much more convenient, but a prohibitive cost could be a deal-breaker.

MattRat

TT Racer
UncleCharlie has a belt drive on his BA. try messaging him...haven't seen him around here lately but PM probably gets him.

how many sets of chains and sprockets could you buy with $$$ it would cost to buy that belt kit?

I'm sticking with the chain, thanks.

Delbert

Two Stroke
Welcome Black&Red.
Look at it this way, Triumph Bonnevilles just don't look proper with a belt drive system. However, it's your bike so make it the way you want. I wouldn't worry about how long that belt lasts compared to a chain system, as they've gotten all the bugs worked out to probably last 100K miles. NOW!!! If you live on ANY dirt roads, just remember that dust will compromise the aluminum sprockets and belt over time. Kicked up smaller rocks may also cut into belt and get ground up in the rear sprocket too(just a worse case senerio). I know Harley owners who live on dirt roads, and they've never lead me to believe they have belt problems. Also once you change over to a belt system, you won't have the ability to regear your current sprockets to fit your riding needs that a chain allows.
Del

07black&red

Two Stroke
Right on. Thanks for the input y'all. Probably stick with the way god, er, Triumph intended and learn to love the chain.

koifarm

Hooligan
Well then, just go and find a shaft conversion for the Triumphs....I hear they only cost $4,600.99.....but heck, not much really....and if you work it right, the dealer will throw it in fer nuttin......

biker7

Banned
Cost isn't the issue with the conversion. Its disparaging the design intent. The designers knew what they were doing when they spec'ed a chain for the new bonneville.
Chain is better for this bike. I personally am not a fan of belts just coming off a bike with one. I prefer a chain...more efficient and less sensitive to runnout and rocks don't shread 'em in a moments notice. Wiping a chain down and relubing it is a small price to pay for a chain with all its virtues.
If you got power to burn and are a no maintainence type then a belt can make sense but to me a chain is what should be on the bonny.
George
PS: My riding instructor who is a sport bike guy which is the type of bike I best relate to says it best...belts are for washing machines.

Last edited:

07black&red

Two Stroke
PS: My riding instructor who is a sport bike guy which is the type of bike I best relate to says it best...belts are for washing machines.

I guess a few other uses for belts come to mind but perhaps that is a topic for another day, nes pas?